1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 23, 2014 8:27 PM by oscrub RSS

Setting LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_3 as 2nd remote destination

Hello,

recently I've faced a situation, where I have to direct the arch logs simultaneously to 2nd destination, different than my standby server, also different than my primary server, 3rd server. AIX6.1, Oracle 10.2.0.3.

The values for my primary are:

log_archive_dest_1 = LOCATION=/logs1/oradata/ORACBI/archive VALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES) DB_UNIQUE_NAME=ORACBI

log_archive_dest_2 = SERVICE=ORACBISTB LGWR ASYNC VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE) DB_UNIQUE_NAME=ORACBISTB

I want to put, as log_archive_dest_3, different server, where logs will be gathered for safety reasons. Is that possible? I know I can set many locations on my primary, alternate locations, but can't find a way to direct them to 3rd server.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Setting LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_3 as 2nd remote destination
          oscrub

I can't say for sure without testing, but using log_archive_dest_3 and the SERVICE parameter would require an oracle instance on your 3rd location in order to receive the archivelogs. It sounds like you already have a standby database already configured in location 2, and you mentioned you just wanted another alternate location off the primary server.

If I understand your situation clearly, why not mount a shared volume from your 3rd server, on to the primary server and point your log_archive_dest_3 there? So you end up with something like:

LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_3 = /mnt/shared_dir_of_server3