8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 11:41 PM by moniquevdb-Oracle Branched from an earlier discussion.

Oracle Community FAQ

moniquevdb-Oracle

I'm in the process of updating the FAQ, and have added a link to the user guide. Thanks once again, Dude!

• 1. Re: Oracle Community FAQ
          jgarry

Oh, moderator guidelines, cool, everyone should see that (not sarcasm).

• 2. Re: Oracle Community FAQ
            Dude!

Thanks too! I actually didn't really expect this. Cheers!

• 3. Re: Oracle Community FAQ
              BluShadow

moniquevdb-Oracle

Whilst your updating the FAQ, could you add to the section titled "How can I contact a moderator to report a spammer?", to say that the "Report Abuse" link can be used against the spam post, which will notify all moderators (and that only one of the spammers posts needs reporting, the moderators will automatically check the member out for their other posts).

jgarry

Oh, moderator guidelines, cool, everyone should see that (not sarcasm).

Though not completely up to date.  It states that moderators shouldn't delete threads of any kind, but we've ascertained with sonya and other admin that we can under certain circumstances (spam, duplicates etc.)

• 4. Re: Oracle Community FAQ
                Dude!

Could we please branch suggestions about the content of the FAQ and moderator function or guidelines to another thread? Other people, including myself, may have more suggestions or opinions about it. I would like to limit this thread to the current subject for feedback or discussing the forum guide, if possible. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Oracle Community FAQ
                  BluShadow

Now branched from Monique's post onwards. 

• 6. Re: Oracle Community FAQ
                    Dude!

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Oracle Community FAQ
                      Dude!

I don't want to spoil any fun, but I wonder what the criticism about moderators and emphasis about moderator guidelines is all about. Is it about moving threads for closer topic alignment? Is it the locking of threads? Is it about the lack of information when such events occur?

I think the moderators are doing a fabulous job here. I cannot imagine what a mess and inappropriate tone there would be without them. Software developers and administrators are not necessarily good diplomats. Regarding information about content management events, I would even suggest to give less information to prevent noise and not to give the abusive or misusive post any attention. Well, obviously some people, including moderators, see it from a different angle though.

What is actually the deal with the site admin all about? Does it provide a level of convenience for the moderator, sort of shifting bad decisions and allowing the moderator to remain neutral? Perhaps there could be several levels of moderators with different privileges based on years of experience, but ultimately I think moderators should have the same rights to make decisions and manage content than the site admin. I think there was better use for moderators than performing or suggesting house cleaning jobs.

Personally I think the responsibility for content should be shifted from the site admin to the moderators. I believe the moderators have a better grasp of content and are much more forthcoming with information than the site admins. As such I would probably be a better site admin than a moderator.

• 8. Re: Oracle Community FAQ
                        moniquevdb-Oracle

BluShadow, thanks, I have noted your fixes and will make sure we include them.

The moderator guidelines are not a new addition; they were written by Sonya and have lived at the bottom of the FAQ as long as I've been around. I could not agree more that the moderators do a fabulous job and we could not live without them. I will be the grand marshal of the moderator appreciation parade. The guidelines are not intended as a criticism in any way. But we do have a very very large number of moderators, most of whom are volunteers, so it makes sense for the guidelines to be easy for all mods to reference. Thus, they've been in the FAQ for the past year.

There are certain permissions that have to remain internal to Oracle and its staff, in large part to align with our corporate security and legal policies, and that's why they have to be made at the admin level. 

As for the level of communication, when Sonya returns and we are at full strength again, I hope you'll see a big improvement. We are short-staffed without her, unfortunately.