9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 7:53 PM by dbaOnTap

Lost Worksheet

Hi Guys,

I had SQL worksheets open in SQL Developer 4.0.1 on Win 7 x64. I thought I was regularly saving with "Save All". One worksheet in particular was open for a few days and I had accumulated very detailed instructions and steps on a partitioning exercise I was doing. Long story short SQL Developer crashed and I now can't find that worksheet anywhere.

Is there some magic location I can go and the worksheet will be cached there? I have trawled the web and the filesystem for an answer for this, but unfortunately I have not managed to find the worksheet.

Any help much appreciated,

Yours Frustrated,

Ciaran

• 1. Re: Lost Worksheet
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

When you say 'the worksheet', do you mean, 'the file?'

If you were using 'save all' it must have been stored in a file - are you not able to find your file?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lost Worksheet

Correct. I can't find where it saved by default. I know with 4.0 I had set the location and it was always fine, but I cannot find the default SQL Developer location where the file went.

• 3. Re: Lost Worksheet
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

I'm guessing that:

* File > Reopen doesn't show your file

* You searched your OS for the file by name

* You checked the default directory, which on windows is usually something like C:\Users\<user>

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lost Worksheet

Hi,

Yes. All of that. Even downloaded locate32 & Recuva to see could I find it.

This forum post was really last desperation. I had wondered would there be a file somewhere with an unusual name or in a secret hidden folder. I knew it was a long shot...

Thanks,

Ciaran

• 5. Re: Lost Worksheet
                  rp0428
                  Correct. I can't find where it saved by default. I know with 4.0 I had set the location and it was always fine, but I cannot find the default SQL Developer location where the file went.

Huh? Care to explain that?

As you just said for 'save all' you need to 'set the location'. Then you say you cannot find the 'default' location. There is no 'default' location - the location will be the one you set and the file name will be the name you provided.

One worksheet in particular was open for a few days

Leaving ANYTHING open on a computer for an extended period of time is just plain risky to begin with. But 'a few days'? Hopefully you've learned not to do that anymore.

Long story short SQL Developer crashed

It certainly shouldn't be surprising that something (os, app) crashed should it? Many people that have used ANY version of Windows over the last 30 years would be surprised if their machine did NOT crash. They certainly wouldn't trust anything important to it over a period of a few days without having a good backup.

1. You are using Windows

2. You trusted windows to run non-stop and NOT crash for several days.

3. You forgot the folder location where you think you saved your files

4. You forgot the name of the files you saved

5. You can't find your files when you search

Do you see a pattern there anywhere?

No one on the forums can help you remember what location or file name you used.

• 6. Re: Lost Worksheet

Did you enjoy that? Did it make you feel good?

In SQL Developer 4.0.1 when I hit Save All I do not get a pop up asking for a folder to save anything in. Which is why I assumed it had a default location to save worksheets. I had previously used 4.0.0 and it had been just fine.

My general demeanour may have indicated that I didn't expect to get anywhere with this question, but I asked as a last ditch sure why not. Forgive me for not expecting pointless ranting.

• 7. Re: Lost Worksheet
                      thatJeffSmith-Oracle

If you hit save all, and you're not prompted for a file name for your worksheet, your worksheet isn't getting saved - unless you already have a file assigned to it.

The default file name should be something like <connection_name>.sql - do a search for that, maybe you'll get lucky.

• 8. Re: Lost Worksheet
                        rp0428
                        Did you enjoy that? Did it make you feel good?

Helping people on the forums does give one a certain satisfaction.

You made at least FIVE rather serious errors or lapses of judgment. You aren't the first one; you won't be the last.

But facts are facts. They don't have emotions. The best way to prevent problems from reoccuring is to learn what caused them to begin with.

In SQL Developer 4.0.1 when I hit Save All I do not get a pop up asking for a folder to save anything in.

Then you may have corrupted your Sql Developer installation. Because when you open a worksheet and type something into it and then use 'Save All' you will be prompted for a location to save to. Additional changes to that worksheet won't cause further prompts but WILL save the additional changes.

Which is why I assumed it had a default location to save worksheets. I had previously used 4.0.0 and it had been just fine.

Reality disagrees with you - I side with reality.

Versions 4, 3 and 2 worked EXACTLY the same way.

I just tested that same simple use case and each of those versions prompted for a location and file name to save and then displayed that file name in the tab for the worksheet.

The best results for Windows will be achieved by:

1. Not using Windows

2. Accepting that Windows can, will, and is likely to, freeze or even stop functioning without notice

3. Not opening any more windows/apps that absolutely necessary and closing those apps when done with them or if they will be idle for any significant length of time. On windows 'significant length of time' might be as short as 15 minutes.

4. Backing up your important files often.

We can't help you with how to remember the names of your files or folders except maybe write them down.

• 9. Re: Lost Worksheet
                          dbaOnTap

I have found that SQL Dev 4.0.1 will save a file called Untitled.sql in the following location:

c:\Users\<login id>\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer

Your AppData folder may be hidden so you will have to 'show hidden folders' in order to browse to it.