3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 2:22 PM by 977635

use of LVMs in VM environment for database performance

This sounds like a fairly obvious question, but I would like to get some others who have some good sys admin experience with their DBA experience (such as sb92075).

So, in my scenario, we are using VSphere VMWare to virtualize our servers, including database servers.

Typically, we are using Oracle EE 11.2 in most situations (although some range from 8.1.7, up through 12.1).

Our operating system is either RedHat or CentOS 5.x up to 6.4.

My question is with regards to layout and configuration for best performance.

Using a Cisco UCS attached to an HP SAN, or a NetApp NAS, we cut and create VMs.

Does it make any sense at all to use multiple logical volumes to separate things like redo logs, archive logs, different types of tablespaces (system, temp, undo, data, indexes), etc.?

It seems at some shops I've been at, the sys admins were very adamant about wanting to use separate logical volumes, even in a completely virtualized environment.

My logical thinking would be that since it is all virtual, what are the physical benefits of having to deal with all the different logical volumes.

We are not using true multi-pathing, so what is the sense of it?

Can someone speak to this argument one way or the other and back it up with some logical reasoning please?