2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2014 8:56 PM by user632098 RSS

Data Guard and Flashback

user632098

I will be setting up an active data guard with one primary instance and one secondary instance. I am in non RAC environment. Both my primary and standby databases will have flashback database on. I have flashback duration to one day, i.e., I should be able to flashback up any point in  last 24 hours.

When I do RMAN backup on primary and delete archive log using rman command, will RMA not delete any archive logs which will be required for flashback database (24 hours duration)?

When I am applying archived logs on standby site, I want to delete archived logs which have been applied but not required for flashback database. How can I determine that? In the worst case, I may always keep 1 day’s archived logs on standby?

1. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Data Guard and Flashback
          FreddieEssex

You don't need to delete flashback logs.  Oracle will automatically handle the deletion of flashback logs.

Configure the retention policy to delete archive logs older than a particular time.

Configure the archivelog deletion policy to manage deletion of logs that have been applied to the standby.

eg:

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;

CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY;

In the worst case if you find out you need archivelogs which have been deleted from disk then you can restore them as they have already been backed up by RMAN.

• 2. Re: Data Guard and Flashback
            user632098

Thanks a lot.