3 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2014 12:32 PM by user7444893 RSS

DBLinks in PL/SQL

user7444893

Hi Everyone,

I build reporting pulls in SQL or PL/SQL to get data from 27 separate stores and import into a corporate Oracle DB. In the corp DB, I have the 27 stores as DBLinks, so my normal process in pseudocode is to do this:

insert into <corp.table>

select <data>

from table@server01

where ...

But I have to build 27 separate SQL groups for each query I want to run. I was trying to think of a way to streamline it, and what I'd like to accomplish would look something like this:

begin

declare

type dbarray is varray(27) of varchar2(10);

cursor get_cur is

select data

from table@dbarray[01]

where ...

get_rec get_cur%rowtype;

begin

for get_rec in get_cur

loop

insert into ...

end loop;

end;

end;

I'm also trying to do this without the expense of ODI, which I'd like to get but can't budget for right now. 

Thanks!

Jeff.

• 1. Re: DBLinks in PL/SQL
          CraigB

Jeff,

Please post your quest in the SQL and PL/SQL forum.  This forum is dedicated to Oracle Forms questions.

Craig...

• 2. Re: DBLinks in PL/SQL
            rp0428

I build reporting pulls in SQL or PL/SQL to get data from 27 separate stores and import into a corporate Oracle DB. In the corp DB, I have the 27 stores as DBLinks, so my normal process in pseudocode is to do this:

insert into <corp.table>

select <data>

from table@server01

where ...

But I have to build 27 separate SQL groups for each query I want to run.

You haven't provided enough info to make any specific recommendations. We would need to know:

1. how often this 'report' is needed?

2. how many users run the query?

3. how often the query is executed?

4. how up-to-date the data needs to be?

5. how often the real data changes and how much of the data changes?

My first approach for prototyping a solution would be to create a report-ready table and a process to 'truncate and load' that table with data.

I would use at least three procedures/functions:

1. A control procedure - this procedure accesses new tables that contain the info about the DB links, and process info such as the last run-date, number of rows, current status of the process, etc.

2. A 'source data' procedure - this procedure creates a CURSOR on an appropriate data source and returns it

3. A 'workhorse' procedure - this produce FETCHs the cursor and stores the data in the report-ready table

The control procedure would 'loop' thru the 27 data sources (the DB links) one at a time (or could submit jobs to execute in parallel) to populate the report-ready table.

A modular approach provides maximum control and flexibility. When you are testing you set up the new control table so that only 1 or 2 data sources are used. Then for full testing you simply alter a FLAG in the control table to include the other 25 data sources.

You would also have a LOG table to log the results. For a process like this you need to know which of the 27 succeeded, which failed, which ones need to be rerun, etc.

By making the processing somewhat table-driven you can easily run the process for one store (delete the data for the store and refresh it) or any combination of stores at any time the data for a store is available or needs to be refreshed.

By using a PARTITIONED report-ready table, one partition for each of the 27 stores, each process can work with one store totally independentlly of the other stores: truncate the stores partition and reload it. It also make it easy to archive/drop/reload data for any one store independently of the other stores.

That is the simple, modular approach that I would use. Even if the fnal use case required an 'all at once' solution it is trivial to convert that modular approach.

• 3. Re: DBLinks in PL/SQL
              user7444893

Sorry Craig.