6 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2014 9:50 PM by Gusora

Recommended books for PL/SLQ certification and beyond

Gusora

Hoping to soon complete the Oracle Database SQL Expert (1Z0-047) exam and will follow up with Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL (1Z0-144) and possibly Oracle Database 11g: Advanced PL/SQL (1Z0-146).

In my preparation for Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL (1Z0-144) and Advanced PL/SQL (1Z0-146) what books would people recommend? There doesn't seem to be many books with practical end of chapter exercises I've noticed or any at all!

The problem with preparing solely for Oracle certification is it leaves a lot of gaps as regards a good effective working knowledge of Oracle for a new developer. I have seen the often mentioned Effective Oracle by Design by Thomas Kyte on sites/blogs. Is this still a good book to study considering its over 10 years old and we are now on to 12c.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Recommended books for PL/SLQ certification and beyond
          Zlatko Sirotic

Oracle PL/SQL Programming (5th or 6th Edition) by Steven Feuerstein

Study Guide for 1Z0-144: Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL (Oracle Certification Prep) by Matthew Morris

Study Guide for 1Z0-146: Oracle Database 11g: Advanced PL/SQL (Oracle Certification Prep) by Matthew Morris

Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Professional Guide by Saurabh Gupta

Regards

• 2. Re: Recommended books for PL/SLQ certification and beyond
            Hoek

Regarding Effective Oracle Design:

"I don't have any plans to update Effective Oracle by Design - but a new edition of Expert Oracle Database Architecture covering up to version 12c is coming out in the not too distant future. "

https://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:8191916000346674643

• 3. Re: Recommended books for PL/SLQ certification and beyond
              Matthew Morris

I well agree that reading books to prepare for certification exams will leave you with gaps as an effective programmer in the real world (and I say this s someone who wrote two of the guides referenced above).  The absolute best preparation for programming PL/SQL in the real world is to practice writing PL/SQL blocks on your own time.  Exercises are good, and you can get some practice in at Steven Feuerstein's site:

PL/SQL Challenge | Steven Feuerstein.com

The documentation is also good, of course (and free).  If you haven't read the 2-day Developer's Guide, you should.  The link to that, more Oracle documentation, other book suggestions are available at the following URL:

Oracle Certification Prep: Exam details and preparation resources for 1Z0-144

• 4. Re: Recommended books for PL/SLQ certification and beyond
                Gusora

Sorry for the late reply and gratitude to the responders above

Esp to Matthew, read your article on 1Z0-147 or 1Z0-144? Was a PL/SQL programmer (not very advanced) over 10 years ago so the Program with PL/SQL (1Z0-144) and Advanced PL/SQL (1Z0-146) seems to be a sensible track to take to re-affirm and update my dormant skills. Your respective guides on Amazon available for kindle I am buying today. Am also checking out the Program with PL/SQL prep link and really looking forward to exploring the site PL/SQL Challenge (Steven Feuerstein.com).

Until I have a good perusal of the Program with PL/SQL prep link and your books on my Kindle I am undecided on which PL/SQL book to go for. Two I've come across so far are...

• Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Professional Guide by Saurabh Gupta
                • Oracle PL/SQL Programming by Steven Feuerstein
                • The Concise Expert Guide to PL/SQL by Ian Funnell

My gut is telling me the Feuerstein book as from experience he is thorough but book is not aimed solely at the exam (less of a quick and dirty guide) but then again thats probably why it might be better.

• 5. Re: Recommended books for PL/SLQ certification and beyond
                  Matthew Morris

My gut is telling me the Feuerstein book as from experience he is thorough but book is not aimed solely at the exam (less of a quick and dirty guide) but then again thats probably why it might be better.

When I am preparing for a certification exam that is on a subject that I am not already reasonably skilled in, I will often use one 'general' source and a second that is specific to the exam.  Years ago when I was preparing for the Linux+ certification (I had used Linux for years, but never really administered it), I got one book that was specifically a Linux+ exam prep and the second was one of the 'Linux Bible' series that had really good coverage of the OS as a whole.  I read through the general book first to improve my overall knowledge and give me a firm background on the basics.  I then used the Linux+-specific book to focus on those topics that would be tested.

For that reason, I would suggest Feuerstein's book given your current situation.  While I have never read it, the book has often been recommended by others on this forum as a good general preparation source for the 1Z0-144 exam.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Recommended books for PL/SLQ certification and beyond
                    Gusora

Many thanks for your input on this