9 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2014 10:30 PM by petra-K RSS

Multiple physical standby

Hi all,

I want to configure two(2) dataguard physical standby. I will use the 1st as our DR backup and the 2nd for Reporting.

I can not understand why need to pay license for "Active" dataguard  when you can have an option of 31 standby databases?

Did I understood it right from the docs? I can create as many maximum of 31 ?

Can you give me sample docs on how to make a 2nd physical standby db?

Thanks all,

pK

• 1. Re: Multiple physical standby
          carajandb

if you want to open your reporting database while the recovery is active that's Active DataGuard and you need a license for that feature. if you recover your database for example during night and open it for read only access over day (without ongoing recovery) the standard DataGuard functionality is sufficient (so no extra license cost).

All with the exception that all databases regardless if production or standby have to be licensed in general.

With Data Guard Broker you can only manage one standby (with Oracle 11g) but nevertheless you can create multiple standby databases and use log_archive_dest_n (1...31) to push the redolog to the individual standby database.

there are several descriptions on how to setup multiple standby databases. here is one: DBA-Village

• 2. Re: Multiple physical standby

Thanks dear that is a very good explanation.

So multiple standby databases denotes multiple licenses. Hence active dataguard is cheaper?

By the way...I am confused. If I have say 31 physical standby databases. Then If I switch to the 1st standby as my PRIMARY. What will happen to the other 30? will they know that there is a new PRIMARY database?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Multiple physical standby
              carajandb

Please refer to your local sales representative about the licensing of active dataguard - and no active dataguard isn't cheaper as it is an additional option you have to license on top of the enterprise edition you need.

To your question: If your setup is correct oracle is able to manage the standby databases regardless which database is primary at any time - great feature, isn't it!

• 4. Re: Multiple physical standby
                Hemant K Chitale

Note that while "standard DataGuard" is not a separately licensed product, the Standby Database instance has to be licensed. 31 standby instances have to be licenced. Active DG is an additional option that has to be purchased if the feature is to be used.

Hemant K Chitale

• 5. Re: Multiple physical standby

Thanks

• 6. Re: Multiple physical standby
                    FreddieEssex

So we're back onto the subject of "Why do we need to pay a license for Active Dataguard".....

You can lead a horse to water........

• 7. Re: Multiple physical standby
                      carajandb

FreddieEssex wrote:

So we're back onto the subject of "Why do we need to pay a license for Active Dataguard".....

You can lead a horse to water........

Active Data Guard is the only solution which allows you to open your database for reading (reporting) while it's still in recovery mode. So you have a synchronized reporting database with minimal administration effort."Standard" Data Guard only offers the standby functionality or you can open the database but at that point recovery is stopped.  To my knowledge there is no other solution in the marked which can provide a similar solution instead you have to use replication like GoldenGate, SharePlex or Dbvisit Replicate.

• 8. Re: Multiple physical standby
                        FreddieEssex

Thanks, I'm aware of that, however my post was directed to the OP who has posted similiar questions previously.

Like I said...you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

• 9. Re: Multiple physical standby

Thanks all for the horse power.

If I have active dataguard, Then I can run reports generation on the physical standby while updates is also done.

Can I also run OEM monitoring on both database, primary and standby?

How can the configured OEM at primary be replicated to standby so I can open both monitoring tool? simultaneously.

Thanks