3 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2014 10:26 AM by Rosario Vigilante RSS

Get and opening/showing a pdf file through form 11gR2

Rosario Vigilante

Hello to all

Forms 11gR2-- db 11gR2-- Fmw 11gR2

What is the best method (in term of performance) to get a Blob (PDF) column's table  and display it in Oracle Forms?

1) WEBUTIL_FILE.DB_TO_CLIENT

2) to configure and use the DAD wpg_docload.download_file

3) Java Beans

Blobs are PDF reports(saved b Unpllugable destination). and I need to read them and display them often

thanks

• 1. Re: Get and opening/showing a pdf file through form 11gR2
          Christian Erlinger

db_to_client first reads the blob and sends it in junks to the client; wpg_docload doesn't do that. So if network roundtrips are a concern of yours then wpg_docload might be a bit faster.

If you don't connect directly to the database via JDBC in your custom JavaBean you'll mostly end up rewriting the same functionality as webutil_file.db_to_client, so unless you are using JDBC (which might introduce a load of other problems) I don't think this is what you want to do. And I wouldn't connect via JDBC from the bean either.

IMO performance wise there shouldn't be much difference between wpg_docload and webutil (although you might test that assertion of mine), so I guess it really boils down to what you like more. The document table feature forces you to jam various objects in one single table whereas webutil doesn't require a specific structure of the table containing your blob; However webutil can be only used from within forms whereas you can display / transfer your blob very easily from any tool which is capable of doing HTTP Requests.

I for one would do it via wpg_docload, but mostly because we don't use webutil plus we have a strong possibility that I can (and probably will have to) make use of the feature in another tool as well.

cheers

• 2. Re: Get and opening/showing a pdf file through form 11gR2
            Andreas Weiden

I agree with Christian and would also tend to use WEBUTIL in terms of easiness.

One criteria for the decision might be the average size of the pdf-documents. If you have very large documents you might notice the performance-difference between WPG and WEBUTIL.

• 3. Re: Get and opening/showing a pdf file through form 11gR2
              Rosario Vigilante

Thanks to you Christian and Andreas for time and help!!