the two methods to apply dimension changes more clearly spelled out are:
1) run dos batch file which calls maxL to run a script performing an import command from local text data_file ...using server rules_file DimItem.....
2) within the eas console, open the outline, then from the menu, under Outline, choose update outline; find the same input file and rules file and update. note, this is a BSO cube, ASO is not involved. No wizards are involved. Using the eas console this way, the dimension changes are applied correctly. Using the first method above to apply the same file and rules file and I get the extraneous additional members created.
reading about this strange situation...
Are you using the same userid to login to EAS and MaxL?
The upload file is at the same location (so, no access rights blocking the reading the file with EAS)?
We do not see an error message with the load in an open outline. Could you please try to load the file with the right-mouse-click on the database and then Load Data option?
What do you mean by "extraneous additional members"?
Check whether Essbase Server is set to Unicode mode, You can use the maxl command
You can also set the application to Unicode mode using the maxl command
alter application Sample set type unicode_mode;(Once its done its not reversible).After wards ,try to execute the maxl script which is used for dimension building and check if the issue still Persists
I suggest you open the bat file and see whats it does since some times issues can solved on other end than this side
Here are some samples fo ASO and BSO
login admin password on server;
create application APP type unicode_mode using aggregate_storage;
create database APP.DB;
if you have data ready in RDBMS use below
import database APP.DB dimensions
connect as DB identified by password using server rules_file 'ruke _file' preserve all data
on error append to 'location.err';
BSO use below link ......it would be same
Everyone - thank you for the suggestions / questions. You've been very helpful. Daniel hit the nail on the head so to speak. I changed my file to Ansi and it loaded perfectly. Whether due to my my background in testing or something else, I ran it both ways again with consistent results, so thank you again everyone, and in particular - thanks Daniel !