3 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2014 12:51 AM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

FRA on the standby side

user9056222

Hi All,

Sorry I am not sure whether this question should go to RMAN or DG, choosing later.

Our setup has around 50 databases (Production) in a Solaris 3 node cluster,one node is always quiescent. Similar setup exists in Standby too. Oracle Version 10.2.0.2-11.2.0.3(various versions). Each have a DG setup configured for maximum performance.

All these production databases are configured with "Merge Incremental backup" , and archivelogs goes to FRA(alone).

Now if I compare the FRA of production and standby they are exactly identical meaning, apart from the archive logs, both the datafile copies and the incremental backups are available in standby too. Space is not an issue as FRA manages space similar to production, but the caveat is these FRA filesystems are backed up to tape(not through backup FRA) by the system admins. I understand they backup FRA in standby to make it similar to production backups. Now I am reviewing this scenario(handed over to me)

My questions are

1, Is there any advantage of backing up FRA in standby except if there is a role reversal that happens?

2, How these datafile copies and incr. backup set is created in FRA of standby too? Is that by just archivelogs being applied?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: FRA on the standby side
          mseberg

Hello;

For this question:

"Is there any advantage of backing up FRA in standby except if there is a role reversal that happens?"

The main advantage would be you don't have to do anything if anything happens to your Primary side. 

For this question

" How these datafile copies and incr. backup set is created in FRA of standby too? Is that by just archivelogs being applied?"

No, applied does not do this. I would look for a job that moves a copy using scp or rsync

Best Regards

mseberg

• 2. Re: FRA on the standby side
            user9056222

Thank you very much. That makes things clear for me.

• 3. Re: FRA on the standby side
              Hemant K Chitale

>Is there any advantage of backing up FRA in standby

If the standby storage / database gets corrupted you have two options

a. Take a backup from primary, restore to standby, apply archivelogs

b. Restore the standby backup, catch up the standby with the primary, apply archivelogs

Depending on the database size, the network bandwidth, frequency of database backups at standby, speed of restore, archivelog volume, speed of copying archivelogs ..... one of the two options is faster than the other.  I've been at a site where option b. is faster.

Hemant K Chitale