1 Reply Latest reply: May 23, 2014 2:44 PM by Levi Pereira RSS

Adding a reporting instance in RAC setup

Krishna_Architect

Hi,

I am new to Oracle RAC setup. I need to know, if I want to add a new instance in a RAC setup in parallel for existing instance using the same hardware.

My current setup is an OLTP system, where one Oracle instance configured over a RAC on 11gR2. Thus we use the same under lying storage for, two identical instances of Oracle. Now I want separate Reporting from the OLTP processing. Idea is to have a new instance for reporting alone.

1) Is it possible to add one more instance of oracle on the existing RAC without additional machine or Oracle licence cost?

2) If it is a new node on the RAC cluster, will it be additional cost for (Oracle licence + h/w) ?

By the way, I do not required RAC setup for my reporting instance. So can I have a simple stand alone instance on existing h/w using some portion of SAN for reporting?

Any better alternatives technically which will not add additional machine? basically, additional cost for licence and machines, my mgmt may not approve.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Adding a reporting instance in RAC setup
          Levi Pereira

The Oracle license is the "right to use" (RTU) the software and not the software itself. If you have a license, you can obtain a copy of the software.

Licenses are not tied to the product version. For example, an Enterprise Edition database license is equally valid for Oracle 9i, Oracle 10g or Oracle 11g. However, you are only entitled to new versions if you have a valid maintenance and support contract in place.

Licensing Cost Metrics

Processor licensing - You pay per Processor you run the Oracle software on, no matter how many database you will create.

Named User Plus Licensing - Pay per user, however user is defined as any end-node that receives data from or creates data for that Oracle DB including human users.

Anyway Oracle does not license by Database Instance.

So my answer is :

1) If same cluster nodes no additional license is necessary

2) If a new node, new license is necessary.

So can I have a simple stand alone instance on existing h/w using some portion of SAN for reporting?

Yes