6 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2014 12:06 PM by zrinko

Cannot connect to Essbase, run Financial Reports as a non-admin user

zrinko

Hi,

We had to restore application from backup, and after restore, users cannot run reports from Financial Reporting. They got this message:

Error: Internal Essbase JAPI error:  [(1054060): Essbase failed to select application <APP_NAME>, because <username>@Native Directory is not completely provisioned by Planning.]

The same message appears in Smart View if user connects directly to Essbase. Connection through Planning and Planning Ad-Hoc works normally. That is the reason why I put this thread in Essbase subforum, and not in Reporting.

I have found various threads pointing to Security Filters and refresh from Plannig. That does not work either, it ends up with some Java error. But, we haven't run security filter refresh anytime. Actually, we don't use any filters at all. Security is so far only on form (and report) level. So, I don't think that is related to this. And if it is, how can we solve it, regarding Java error? This is Java error:

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1

Strange think to me though is if I grant user application Administrator role, that user can run reports, connect through SmartView to Essbase. This fact also kind of proves me that it does not have anything to do with Security Filter refresh from Planning.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Cannot connect to Essbase, run Financial Reports as a non-admin user
          KKT

This issue occurs-

when The user is not properly associated with its security filter due to invalid information in the Essbase security file.

To check if a user is associated with an appropriate filter, follow the steps below:

1. Log into the Essbase Administration Services Console with an administrative ID.
          2. Expand the Essbase Servers node to the target Essbase application.
          3. Right-click on a database of the application.
          4. Select User/Group Access.
          5. Check the value of "Filter" column to see if a filter name appears.

If this issue is occurring, "None" is likely to be displayed in the column.

to fix follow the below steps :-

Drop the user information from Essbase security file with the following steps:

1. Launch Essbase MaxL Client.

2. Login to Essbase with the Login command.

3. Run the following statement:

Drop User "<User>@<User Directory>" From Security_File;

4. Exit the MaxL session with the Exit command.

5. Sign into Planning, connect to the relevant application and create a new security filter.

Thanks,

~KKT~

• 2. Re: Cannot connect to Essbase, run Financial Reports as a non-admin user
            zrinko

Thanks for your answer. I believe I have found this explanation yesterday, probably also yours?

Unfortunately, it does not help us.

First, under filter column ine EAS console, "Not Applicable" is displayed for each user, and not "None". I don't know if that is actually the same.

After we did all the actions you suggested, we got Java error from above during security filter refresh. Prior to that action, we cannot create security filter for non-admin users. Some generic message appears: "An error occurred while processing this page."

For Adminitrator users, security filter can be created. But if user is Administrator, I don't have to create Security Filter, neither run Security Filter Refresh - everything works.

Just additional information, prior to this restore, we haven't created Security filters at all, and everything worked fine.

• 3. Re: Cannot connect to Essbase, run Financial Reports as a non-admin user
              KKT

I would suggest you to raise an SR with Oracle parallely till the time you find some solution.

Thanks,

~KKT~

• 4. Re: Cannot connect to Essbase, run Financial Reports as a non-admin user
                zrinko

Thanks for your reply.

Probably we'll do that.  Although I would like to avoid hypercommunication with Oracle about things like "have you switched on your computer", before we got to the real issue. 

• 5. Re: Cannot connect to Essbase, run Financial Reports as a non-admin user
                  KKT

True i remember we also face the same issue and we have raise the SR with Oracle long back but still i just got update no luck on SR.

Thanks,

~KKT~

• 6. Re: Cannot connect to Essbase, run Financial Reports as a non-admin user
                    zrinko

We have found workaround solution.

In Workspace click Explore button. Menu changes.

Then Tools / Database Connection Manager and change all connection types from Essbase to Planning. Users now can open their reports!

Of course, this does not solve exact problem. Connection to Essbase still does not work for non-admin user. But it solves our project situation.