4 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2014 1:42 PM by Gary Graham-Oracle RSS

error position

salute-Salem

hi all ,

sql develoepr does not stand on the error position when an error occurs ,

is that normal behavior ? or is there any option i can modify to get the error position ?

thanks

• 1. Re: error position
          rp0428

You haven't provided ANY information that someone would need to understand what problem you are having.

Tell us:

1. what you are doing

2. what result you get

3. what result you expected to get

4. what version of sql developer you are using

• 2. Re: error position
            Gary Graham-Oracle

Just guessing about what you are asking....    First, keep in mind when using a code editor / worksheet, you can always toggle on line numbering by right-clicking in the left margin gutter.

If an error occurs when running...

1. A script file in the worksheet (run with @scriptname).  In the Script Output tab, blue hyperlink lines will be present.  Click on those to open the script file and position on the error line.

2. An inline script in the worksheet run using Run Script (F5).  In the Script Output tab, blue hyperlink lines will be present.  Click on those to position on the error line in the worksheet.

3. Case 2, but using Run Statement (Ctrl+Enter).  The error line and column numbers will be listed in the Query Result tab.  No hyperlinks are available to jump to error line in worksheet.

4. Compiling a database object.  The error line and column numbers will be listed in the Compiler tab of the Log pane.  No hyperlinks are available to jump to error line in code editor.

The hyperlink lines are a new feature for 4.0.x.

Regards,

Gary

SQL Developer Team

Message was edited by: Gary Graham

• 3. Re: error position
              salute-Salem

the hyperlinks issue is good , but only if i execute any sql statement as a script , not executing it with the "run statement" button ,

i do not know if this is correct or not ? can i execute anything with the "run script" button , and always avoid using the "run statement" button ?

and i should always clear the "out put" script  before i press f5 ? is that normal ?

• 4. Re: error position
                Gary Graham-Oracle

If you are in the code debugging phase of development, Run Script should be fine, whether dealing with a single SQL statement or a multiple statement script. The advantage of Run Statement is in obtaining the results in a data grid format, which can then be further manipulated (as in hiding columns, reordering column position, sorting rows on specific columns, exporting to various file formats, saving the grid as a user-defined report, and so on).

As for clearing the Script Output tab periodically to avoid scrolling through confusingly long output, you might wish to do that or, alternatively...

1. Tools > Preferences > Database > Worksheet > Show query results in new tabs

2. Combined with Pin (Ctrl+I) icon in the worksheet's  toolbar

to create separate Script Output tabs as needed.

-Gary