5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2014 6:17 AM by jwenting RSS

New to Java

f8dced57-a755-4501-8e29-94230a0c7fc0

I Have a bsc in IT and want to learn Java. I am wondering wether I should do this through a masters or directly through oracle. I want to do self study as the course prices are quite high. I think they work out more than doing a masters for me. my aim is to work in a large corporation that are constantly hiring programmers. Where do I start! I am assuming OCA? What are the best materials to use? Can I buy them from Oracle? I also heard that for some of the courses it's compulsory to do their courses?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

• 1. Re: New to Java
          jwenting

OCA is not intended to teach you Java, but to test whether you know Java to a certain standard.

The certification requirements are a nice list to use to check whether you know your stuff, but don't expect to learn Java just by cramming some certification guide.

• 2. Re: New to Java
            vinaykumar2

well pick any good java book. using OCA you can check ur knowledge.

Read cathy siera nd java effective books to learn java well

• 3. Re: New to Java
              vinaykumar2

well i will also suggest you to do MCA. Having knowledge is equally important to have degree.so dnt sacrifice your degree

• 4. Re: New to Java
                wizzle

I think you should go for the master's degree.

It's for the long term. It will make you more resilient to changes in computing that will come for sure.

And do it while you're at it. Doing it later will be much harder.

The question is why don't you know Java to your satisfaction after a bachelor's degree? This must be considered a severe flaw of your bachelor's program so maybe you should do your masters elsewhere. But even so, no one with a higher degree needs a Java course to get a job as Java programmer. With any of these degrees, if you have a nack for programming, you will get a job regardless of language. In fact adding courses and certifications in specific langages to an academic degree may even be detremential to your chances of getting a first job!

• 5. Re: New to Java
                  jwenting

well, there's no law saying an education in programming or computer science MUST use Java.

There are many languages out there just as suitable for learning the craft.

In fact there are languages specifically designed for the purpose of teaching programming.

And of course an academic environment isn't a place where the development of technical skills applicable to a professional environment should be foremost on the mind.

One can always learn a new programming language after all, just as one can always learn to use a new brand of CNC machine once one has been taught how to use one in general.