1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 2, 2014 4:07 AM by Dude! RSS

Disks Usage Strategy

scottjhn

Oracel 11g R2 on Linux.  Standalone box.

Due to some limiting factors, I intend to configure the disk system using  the following setups.

Total disks: 8.

Disks 1 and 2 (RAID 1) for Linux and Oracle DBMS

Disks 3 to 6 (RAID 1) for data using ASM  (i.e., +DATA disk group)

Disks 7 and 8:  This is what I want to find out by asking this question below.

Basically, disks 7 and 8 will be used for FRA, the achived logs, the mulitplxed online logs and the control files.  There could be two options:

Option 1

Use disks 7 and 8 for FRA in RAID 1, which will hold the scheduled backups, archived redo logs, the mulitplxed online logs and the control files, while

place the second destination for the achived logs and multiplexed file on the Disks 1 and 2 (as shown above).

PRO: everything on RAID 1

CON: By placing the second multiplexing destination on the same disk as the OS and the Oracle, I just wonder if the performance will be an issue?

Option 2

Use only disk 7  for FRA in RAID 1, which will hold the scheduled backups, archived redo logs, the mulitplxed online logs and the control files, while

disk 8 for the second destination for the achived logs and multiplexed file on the Disks 1 and 2 (as shown above).

PRO: Since the second multiplexing is placed on a separate disk, the performance-wise, I would assume, should be better

CON: No RAID 1 for FRA and second multiplexing dest.  In the case of either one of them is crashed, will the database system be able to continue to work normally (archive the logs and multiplex the files)? 

Please share your opinions.

Thanks

Scott

• 1. Re: Disks Usage Strategy
          Dude!

What are you using FRA for? If you use it for backup, etc, and the way it was meant to be, than it needs to be much larger than your DATA volume. I think it should be at least 2 twice as large, better 3 times at least.  So if your RAID setup using disks 3 - 6 does not provide enough disk space to accommodate the DATA and FRA disk groups you cannot proceed. Also if there is a performance difference between DATA and FRA one or the other can slow down the whole system. FRA and DATA should, but not necessarily, be on different physical storage for disaster recovery.