7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2014 8:26 AM by washington_peres RSS

SQL Developer...

washington_peres

To all,

Anyone knows when we going to have SQL Developer plug-in/driver to connect into DB2 z/Os ?

There is few tools available out in the market (freeware, shareware and License)...the big problem on using any of the other tools is that one will have to "work" in 2 different environments...

Thanks

• 1. Re: SQL Developer...
          Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle

There's not anything on the immediate roadmap to explicitly extend migration support for z/OS, but if the newer DB2 jdbc drivers let you 'cross connect' between their platforms, then that would be nice.

• 2. Re: SQL Developer...
            washington_peres

Jeff,

Thanks for the inputs...to support migration between DB2 z/OS will be a "extra" development and so on... I am looking for any plug-in or extension from SQL Developer, to enable connection/navigation on DB2 z/OS world, similar to DB2 LUW or SQL Server capabilities.

We have the newest DB2 JDBC drivers. I can connect/navigate using different tools, but no SQL Developer. Using SQL Developer, as a experiment, I have created a connection against DB2 z/OS...does not allow me to navigate (most likely for the lack of capabilities on access SYSTABLES on DB2 side), but allows me to write SQL and execute them....

Are you aware of any DB2 driver / plugin specific for SQL Developer?

• 3. Re: SQL Developer...

The ability to connect to databases other than Oracle/TimesTen is only provided to help with migrations. That's our business strategy for allowing those connections. Using it to run queries, browse objects, etc - that's a bonus.

• 4. Re: SQL Developer...
                washington_peres

I understand...since there is nothing on the roadmap to extend migration (or just connection) to DB2 z/OS the only other available option will be use "freeware" or "shareware" tools...or even paid tools (AQT, for example), where one can basically connect on anything that have a driver available or you can map to the ODBC configuration...

Although I am "oracle" by nature, the client and business requirement dictates my business strategy and ultimately, pay my salary. In my particular case, working a complex environment (DB2, SQL Server and Oracle), a tool that can quickly give access one anyone of the databases (by development perspective) to sample data and tables are very, very useful...we are using AQT tool to archive that....

• 5. Re: SQL Developer...

AQT is a very nice poly-RDBMS tool.

Our mission here to give you everything  you need for Oracle Database and related technologies like TimesTen.

• 6. Re: SQL Developer...
                    washington_peres

Agree...AQT it is a very nice tool...and some others too...

So, Oracle mission and business strategy is to provide everything for Oracle Database and related technologies like TimesTen...It's funny how that goes...SQL Developer already provides a lot of capabilities for Oracle databases AND SQL Server, DB2 LUW, Access and other that have plugins or happen to have drivers that actually works with SQL Developer...

In some basic aspects, still behind of other tools. For example, try to generate a DDL's from tables and execute "as it is"...will not work...well, I guess that not include on "everything for Oracle Database" approach...:) . I am talking Oracle-to-Oracle....not even cross RDBMS...

In time, I am Oracle professional too...but unfortunately, we have to deal with all kind the databases and situations on real life...

• 7. Re: SQL Developer...

The capabilities for the databases other than Oracle and TimesTen are provided explicitly for the ability to migrate those platforms to Oracle Database.

http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/archive/2014/06/oracle-sql-developer-is-for-oracle-database/