7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 9:25 AM by Aasubram-Oracle

SSL Connection in SQLDeveloper hangs for a simple Query

Aasubram-Oracle

Hi,

After applying CPUJAN2014, using as simple query, it hangs after some executions.

I have created the table as:
      create table clob_table
      (id varchar2 (8),
      clob_col varchar2(255))

- I executed "commit statement" after the insert loop.

- I execute the SELECT statement, and it hangs after only 2 tries, then we are able to reproduce the hanging issue.

Without SSL and other tools other we don,t have the issue.

What could be wrong here?

Any thing to check in specific?

Thanks,

Anand

• 1. Re: SSL Connection in SQLDeveloper hangs for a simple Query
          Gary Graham-Oracle

Hi Anand,

So are you saying it worked before CPUJAN2014 on some version of SQL Developer?  Is so, which one?  Which database release?

If not, try reviewing these old forum discussions for anything that might help you -- you may need to use OCI/Thick driver, for example:

SSL in SQLDeveloper

SQL Developer wont work via SSL (TCPS)

And if you already use OCI, or OCI does not matter, it may be something like needing a different version of the JDBC driver, according to which versions of SQL Developer and the database are used in your environment.

Hope this helps,

Gary

SQL Developer Team

Message was edited by: Gary Graham

• 2. Re: SSL Connection in SQLDeveloper hangs for a simple Query

- I executed "commit statement" after the insert loop.

What 'insert loop'? I don't see any posted code.

- I execute the SELECT statement, and it hangs after only 2 tries, then we are able to reproduce the hanging issue. 

What 'SELECT' statement are you talking about?

Without SSL and other tools other we don,t have the issue.

What SSL?

You have to SHOW us what you are doing - not just vague statements about things we can't see.

Post the DDL and DML and connection info so someone can try to reproduce the problem.

• 3. Re: SSL Connection in SQLDeveloper hangs for a simple Query
              Aasubram-Oracle

Hi Gary,

I will confirm that soon.

Thanks,

Anand

• 4. Re: SSL Connection in SQLDeveloper hangs for a simple Query
                mwickham-Oracle

Add about a million rows to the table and then try the query in SQL Plus from the client.  Does it fail?

• 5. Re: SSL Connection in SQLDeveloper hangs for a simple Query
                  Aasubram-Oracle

Hi Gary / Michael,

I tried that already and it just hangs after JAN CPU 2014 as Michael suggested.

Here is the update.

Hi,

All SQL Developer version has the same issue when using SSL connectivity, as identified by the client it was working before applying CPUJAN2014 patch.
                  For the Database release
                  You can see that only one patch has been onpplied on: Thu Apr 24 14:15:56 EDT 2014

OPatch formation, RedHat version and Kernel version:

[oracle@veelaora001 ]$ $ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/opatch lsinventory
                  Oracle Interim Patch Installer version 11.2.0.3.6
                  Copyright (c) 2013, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Oracle Home : /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1
                  Central Inventory : /u01/app/oraInventory
                  from : /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/oraInst.loc
                  OPatch version : 11.2.0.3.6
                  OUI version : 11.2.0.3.0
                  Log file location : /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/cfgtoollogs/opatch/opatch2014-05-03_15-05-57PM_1.log

Lsinventory Output file location : /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/cfgtoollogs/opatch/lsinv/lsinventory2014-05-03_15-05-57PM.txt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Installed Top-level Products (1):

Oracle Database 11g 11.2.0.3.0
                  There are 1 product(s) installed in this Oracle Home.

Interim patches (2) :

Patch 17540582 : applied on Thu Apr 24 14:15:56 EDT 2014
                  Unique Patch ID: 16954971
                  Patch description: "Database Patch Set Update : 11.2.0.3.9 (17540582)"
                  Created on 7 Jan 2014, 02:20:21 hrs PST8PDT
                  Sub-patch 16902043; "Database Patch Set Update : 11.2.0.3.8 (16902043)"
                  Sub-patch 16619892; "Database Patch Set Update : 11.2.0.3.7 (16619892)"
                  Sub-patch 16056266; "Database Patch Set Update : 11.2.0.3.6 (16056266)"
                  Sub-patch 14727310; "Database Patch Set Update : 11.2.0.3.5 (14727310)"
                  Sub-patch 14275605; "Database Patch Set Update : 11.2.0.3.4 (14275605)"
                  Sub-patch 13923374; "Database Patch Set Update : 11.2.0.3.3 (13923374)"
                  Sub-patch 13696216; "Database Patch Set Update : 11.2.0.3.2 (13696216)"
                  Sub-patch 13343438; "Database Patch Set Update : 11.2.0.3.1 (13343438)"

• 6. Re: SSL Connection in SQLDeveloper hangs for a simple Query
                    Gary Graham-Oracle

Anand,

In that case, this definitely seems to be an issue for Oracle Support -- you should raise an SR if you have not already.  I don't recall this being mentioned in past weekly status meetings.

-Gary

P.S.:  And, as always, when a hang occurs please use the jstack utility to take one or more full thread dumps of the SQL Developer process ID (use jsp utility to get PID).  One dump is good for a deadlock or blocking type of hang.  Multiple dumps are required if the problem is a long-running thread where a diff of the dumps can pin-point the bad boy.

Message was edited by: Gary Graham

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: SSL Connection in SQLDeveloper hangs for a simple Query
                      Aasubram-Oracle

Thanks a lot Gary. Seems to be some bug as I get to see a few customers facing the same.

- Anand