9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 6:00 PM by ONEEYEMAN RSS

[SOLVED]: Install OracleSolaris 11 on the DELL laptop

ONEEYEMAN

Hi, ALL,

I don't know if this question belongs here, but here goes...

I downloaded an Oracle Solaris 11 image and trying to install the system on my DELL Inspiron laptop.

The machine boots up but in the console mode. I can communicate with the installer up to the point where it shows text GUI screen and says:

Welcome To Oracle Solaris

Thanks for choosing to install Oracle Solaris!

At the point keyboard is dead. I can't press F2, I can't press ESC. I can't communicate with the installer thru the keyboard.

Now, I'm assuming that since I didn't boot to the GUI installer, the installer does not support the video card I have in the laptop as explained in the installer documentation.

And so I have 2 questions:

1. Is my assumption correct? If yes, what are the chances that this install will boot the GUI/GNOME after the install? I successfully installed Linux on this machine...

2. How do I work around the keyboard issue?

Thank you for any pointer you guys can give.

• 1. Re: Install OracleSolaris 11 on the DELL laptop
          Pascal Kreyer -Oracle

You certainly use in this case the text installer. It will not install Gnome because you need to add additional packages available in the IPS repository. If you want that he starts Gnome directly after the installation, then choose the Live CD to install Solaris 11 with the GUI.

Regarding the keyboard issue, I know that Dell uses different methods to integrate it in a notebook and some methods are not supported. What's happens if you connect an external keyboard ?

Which laptop model is it ? Can keyboard key leds be activated ? Instead to use F2, are you able to use the following key sequence : Esc-2 ?

• 2. Re: Install OracleSolaris 11 on the DELL laptop
            ONEEYEMAN

Hi, Pascal,

Yes, that what I thought. However, looking at the Oracle Solaris 11 - Downloads | Oracle Technology Network | Oracle, the part "Oracle Solaris 11 Downloads" I see only "Download for x86 - Text Install".

This is for the Dell Inspiron 1545. The keyboard was responding when I was in console mode in the beginning, but stopped responding on the "GUI" part.

I will try to see if I have an old GUI installer download in the meantime.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Install OracleSolaris 11 on the DELL laptop
              alan.pae

Try using VESA from the boot menu and see if it will install that way.

alan

• 4. Re: Install OracleSolaris 11 on the DELL laptop
                ONEEYEMAN

Hi, guys,

I found a disk with the GUI installer.

I can successfully boot up from this disk and start the GUI installation. So this issue is resolved.

However a new one came up. ;-)

On this laptop I already installed Linux for the ext2 and ext4 partitions. However when I click on the icon, I see only the whole disk. There is no partitioning scheme available.

Does Open Solaris support/recognize ext2/ext4 partitions on the install? Or it is only for the NTFS partitions?

Thank you.

[EDIT]

Running GParted I see all of my Linux partitions, but the installer refuses to see them and still offers to start from the beginning.

[/EDIT]

• 5. Re: Install OracleSolaris 11 on the DELL laptop
                  Pascal Kreyer -Oracle

Why do you want to use them with the installer ? What you need is to create a Solaris partition and then you can install Solaris.

• 6. Re: Install OracleSolaris 11 on the DELL laptop
                    ONEEYEMAN

Hi, Pascal,

I'm not. I was just looking from the wrong POV ;-)

Now, since you said that I tried to run parted that comes with Oracle Solaris CD/DVD. But it does require "root" privileges.

Unfortunately running "sudo parted" does not take empty password.

What is the password on the LiveCD/DVD for the root access?

Also, I was able to parted just to check and it looks like I should be using following commands:

mkpartfs primary solaris <start> <end>

Is this right?

Thank you.

• 7. Re: Install OracleSolaris 11 on the DELL laptop
                      Pascal Kreyer -Oracle

root password is solaris.

For the mkpartfs command, this one is not available with Solaris 11. To create a Solaris partition, please follow the instructions in this URL : x86: Creating and Changing Solaris fdisk Partitions - Oracle Solaris 11.1 Administration: Devices and File Systems

• 8. Re: Install OracleSolaris 11 on the DELL laptop
                        ONEEYEMAN

Hi, Pascal,

My disk has GPT label and my partitions was made with "parted".

Can fdisk/format understand this kind of scheme?

Now, when in parted I typed "help mkpart", I did see the "solaris" as possible "fs-type". So could you tell more of what is not supported? Or maybe it is only in mkpartfs?

[EDIT]

Here is my partitioning scheme for reference:

Partition table: GPT

Number - 1, Start - 1MiB,     End - 3MiB,       Size - 2MiB,             File System - ,                    Name - grub, Flags - bios_grub

Number - 2, Start - 3MiB,     End - 131MiB,     Size - 128MiB,        File System - ext2,              Name - boot, Flags -

Number - 3, Start - 131MiB,  End - 2000MiB,    Size - 1869MiB,     File System - linux-swap(v1), Name - swap, Flags -

Number - 4, Start - 2000MiB, End - 250000MiB, Size - 248000MiB, File System - ext4,              Name - rootfs, Flags -

All partitions are primary ones.

[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]

I just tried to run "format -> fdisk". It looks like fdisk does not understand GPT partition scheme. Any other idea?

[/EDIT2]

[EDIT3]

The first hit on Google for "oracle solaris install gpt" gives Partitioning Your System - Installing Oracle Solaris 11.1 Systems. According to section "

Guidelines for Partitioning a System During an Interactive Installation", "existing GPT partitions or DOS partitions are retained by default and displayed by the installer" but it simply not true.

When I double click the installer, and go to step 2, all I see is one disk marked as "EFI Header Indicator". There is no partitions on that screen. And the text says: either use the whole disk or partition the disk.

[/EDIT3]

Thank you.

• 9. Re: Install OracleSolaris 11 on the DELL laptop
                          ONEEYEMAN

Hi, ALL,

I was able to download GUI installer for Solaris 11.1.

With that version everything went smoothly.

Thank you all.