2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2014 9:55 AM by John Vilandre RSS

Questions on environments, backups, etc.

user6913263

We are currently implementing Unifier with an expected go-live of early August. Am hoping I can solicit some feedback from some of you on a handful of questions.

How often do you do production backups?

Have you ever had to restore production to a backup?

How many environments do you have? Just uStage and Production or do you have additional environments?

How do you refresh your none production environments? How frequently?

Are you using Oracle's cloud service or are you self hosted?

Feel free to connect with me directly at tjames@capitalpower.com

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Questions on environments, backups, etc.
          Rudy Ising

I can recommend/comment on the following for best practices:

1.     Production systems need to be backed up just like any other production system on at least a nightly basis, and ideally conform to disaster protection by maintaining multiple regional data redundancy.

3.  Environments--With Unifier you only need to have one environment for uDesigner/uStage and a second environment for production.  If you anticipate extreme loads of user testing of changes, you could set up a "Development/Testing" environment that sits in between these two, but not really necessary.  Just keep in mind that as you build changes in uDesigner, you must deploy them to uStage to test, so if you are doing a lot of incremental/preliminary testing (kind of like beta testing before users start evaluating through UAT) then having a middle (third) DEV server could be helpful.

Good luck on your August deployment--as you have probably heard from others--test test test your system before rolling out to make sure everything works exactly as you expect it.

• 2. Re: Questions on environments, backups, etc.
            John Vilandre

My recommendations are based on a self-host model:

>> How often do you do production backups?

Rudy addressed this quite well - follow best practices for disaster recovery and data redundancy and you will be set.

>> Have you ever had to restore production to a backup?

I know of a few incidents across all customers over the past eight years where there has been a need to restore production from a backup. It rarely occurs but nonetheless is an important planning consideration.

>> How many environments do you have? Just uStage and Production or do you have additional environments?

Other environments worth considering include:

-- a training environment with periodic rollback to training baseline.

-- a second sandbox/uStage for testing releases prior to updataing your other environments.

>> How do you refresh your none production environments? How frequently?

Training is often refreshed on a semi-quarterly or quarterly basis depending on your use.

>> Are you using Oracle's cloud service or are you self hosted?

Cloud service - but I have extensive experience with self-hosted environments as well.

Good luck with your release!