0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 8:59 AM by Krishna Vashistha

Error using apex_web_service.make_rest_request() for RESTful Service?

Krishna Vashistha

Hello Everyone!

I have a situation, where I need to pass local table column values to the server table via RESTful services. My local table has 7 columns including 3 NCLOB data-type which may contain data characters more than 32k. I am using apex_web_service.make_rest_request for my RESTful services. At the run-time my code fails to make a request to the service on a line of code where I append the nclob data column value (data > 32k) to l_post variable for p_body parameter:

apex_web_service.make_rest_request(  
            p_url         => l_url,  
            p_http_method => 'POST',  
            p_body        => l_post); 

The above utility function apex_web_service.make_rest_request() works good when variable l_post for parameter p_body has data less than 32k, and fails when it exceeds 32k. The CLOB datatype as I understand has 4gb of limit, so I don't see a point of 'length issue' for its real cause.The error message I get at the debug window is:

...Error data:  
      ......message: AJAX call returned server error ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: raw variable length too long for Execute PL/SQL Code.  
      ......is_internal_error: true  
      ......apex_error_code: APEX.AJAX_SERVER_ERROR  
      ......ora_sqlcode: -6502  
      ......ora_sqlerrm: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: raw variable length too long 

Also on the other hand, passing an nclob variable 'l_post' to apex_web_service.make_rest_request() instead of clob data-type, as I can see would not cause an issue 'of data-type mismatch' because in a scenario where my data for l_post has length lesser than 32k, the rest runs successfully.

I saw another post with same problem raised here at the OTN forums: apex_web_service.make_rest_request getting ORA-06502 But the post is archived, could not find anyone responding to this post?

Is this a bug with APEX because error 'raw variable length too long' seems to be associated with varchar2 assigned with data exceeding 32k?

My current apex running environment details are:

Oracle 11g r2

Application Express 4.2.3.00.08

apex_listener.2.0.5.287.04.27

WebLogic Server Version: 10.3.4.0

Does anyone has a way out to pass p_body (>32k) via REST?

Regards,

Krishna