6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2014 2:28 AM by Phulsebosch RSS

Converting string to integer in planning

Hi All,

I have written a concatenation business rule where i am concatenating a few dimension currmbr. After the concatenation, i need to post the resultant value to a account member as a value. But since the return type of @CONCATENATE is a string i am unable to do so. I have searched for CDF inbuilt for any such function which can do the conversion, but i didnt find any.

Apart from writing and deploying a new CDF to the server, is there any workaround in such situation.

Has any one came across any.

Regards,

Jun

• 1. Re: Converting string to integer in planning
          KKT

Hi,

Just to clarify the account that you are coverting and then concatenating what are the datatypes property set for the same.

The reason why it won't work is because Essbase cannot store strings (only and only numbers) Even if you look at how Smartlists/Textlist it is still stored as numbers. Now look at Text measure of Planning the text is kept in planning relational table and Essbase still reports
          those as numbers.

There is a custom CDF which splits the string into 8 characters and stores it.

Thanks,

~KKT~

• 2. Re: Converting string to integer in planning

Hi KKt

The data type for the account member is Currency and the datatype of the other dimension members which i am concanetating is Unspecified.

I am aware that essbase stores only numeric values. But its in my requirement that i should concatenate the following members ans post it to the particular member. That is y i need to convert it into a integer so that essbase can understand it.

can you please tell me which CDF are you talking about which will solve this issue.

Thanks

Jun

• 3. Re: Converting string to integer in planning
              KKT

To be Frank i have never tried it.

Lets wait for other people comments in this.

Thanks,

~KKT~

• 4. Re: Converting string to integer in planning
                Phulsebosch

Hello Jun,

the datatype is not of importance here. First I want to get a clear picture of the problem. You have two members in, let's say, the account dimension. One with the ID "14" and the other with the ID "20".

Now you want to write into the Essbase database into a third member "Year" a value of 2014 ?

I was looking for such an function too. In fact the reverse of @MEMBER what you are looking for.

The closest I did was having such members and storing in some corner of the database the actual value. In my case it was a membername 2000 with the value of 2000 and then the years also with their data value.

Maybe somebody has something better.

Regards,

Philip Hulsebosch

• 5. Re: Converting string to integer in planning

Hi Philip,

Apologies for late reply...i was busy till late. But i got a solution for the problem.

Its just that we need a CDF which can change the string member to numeric. That needs to be registered in essbase.

And that works!!!.

Thanks,

Jun

• 6. Re: Converting string to integer in planning
                    Phulsebosch

Hello Jun,

good to see that it works. Getting the CDF to run can be hard sometimes. The correct Java etc.

Maybe post the name of the CDF so others reading this can find it.

Regards,

Philip Hulsebosch