1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2014 3:40 PM by yoonas

Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3

Hi, experts;

I have done a migration from UX to Linux for a patch instance. Now I need to do another pair for DEV. (and some more) The source DEV instance is on the UX while the target will be on the Linux which is the same as the patch instance. (that means I have to move every instance on UX to Linux)

I was thinking can I copy/clone the 11.2.0.3 software only that I have already installed for the patch instance on Linux to the DEV instance on the same box so I dont have to install the 11.2.0.3 first and then apply many patches as post steps of 11.2.0.3. When I do that what I should copy?

Say my $RDBMS_ORALCE_HOME is /.../db/tech_st/11.2.0.3. I have just tar the /.../db and untar it to DEV instance.

Went into sqlplus /nolog, got ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified. What other steps I should do?

I will use migration doc to create data structure and use impdp to import data.

Thanks and regardes

• 1. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          I was thinking can I copy/clone the 11.2.0.3 software only that I have already installed for the patch instance on Linux to the DEV instance on the same box so I dont have to install the 11.2.0.3 first and then apply many patches as post steps of 11.2.0.3. When I do that what I should copy?

Yes you can (Use Rapid Clone to clone the patch ORACLE_HOME and database to DEV ORACLE_HOME and database the delete the DEV database). However, you will need to run the post-install steps in each patch README file after you migrate the database.

If you are going to migrate your production instance later then I wouldn't not recommend this approach for DEV and I'd suggest you repeat the same migration exercise until your migration steps are clear and error free before migrating PROD.

Thanks,

Hussein

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3

Hussein:

Thank you. Yes, the last instance well be the PROD. Do you mean I have to install 11g software and apply patches on each every instance?

I fixed some env problems. Now

sqlplus / as sysdba

Connected to an idle instance.

Does that mean the Oracle software was copied right?

Question, there are some post patches needed to be applied after 11g installed and I did. Where do they applied to since I only installed software no database?

• 3. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              Thank you. Yes, the last instance well be the PROD. Do you mean I have to install 11g software and apply patches on each every instance?

Yes.

I fixed some env problems. Now

sqlplus / as sysdba

Connected to an idle instance.

Does that mean the Oracle software was copied right?

It means the instance is down or ORACLE_SID is not set correctly.

Question, there are some post patches needed to be applied after 11g installed and I did. Where do they applied to since I only installed software no database?

Patches applied to $ORACLE_HOME and post installation script to the database.

Thanks,

Hussein

• 4. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3
                tvCa-Oracle

Yes ... no.

The whole purpose of testing a procedure is that you KNOW how it works, when you will be doing that same procedure on Production.

How many times you run it, and on which environments, is something YOU should manage with yourself (and with users, management).

If you skip environments, or do those environments in a different method, don't complain if the initial procedure doesn't work on Production. In that case, you didn't use the chance to test it, and you should face the consequences. Also, when you do some non-production environments in a different way, they WILL BE DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENTS. And that, is NOT GOOD. (Cause you should then also try to make those environments similar again, which is a different set of actions again).

I see admins do this all the time, to "save work" (and time).

My advice is, use the same procedure on ALL environments, do ALL environments (non-prod) BEFORE you do prod, and if there's an issue you don't have control over, repeat until you have control. Redo environments if necessary.

• 5. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3

Hussein/taCa:

Following your guys advice, I am installing 11gR2 software on the new instance DEV. But it did not prompt me for inventory location, only oracle base and oracle home.

I installed without knowing just now. So it mess up the patch instance inventory file I installed last time. How do I modify the inventory location in the 11g installer? Last time when I installed the software for patch instance, I was asked to give inventory location.

I renamed the patch inventory name (we have $ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory_patch for patch instance, for DEV should be oraInventory_DEV) and tried it again. This time I went through all the steps in the installer except the last step "Install". I cancelled and went to OS and found the oraInventory_patch was created again.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3
                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

Please see the following links, it should answer your question.

Installing Products

Installing Products

Thanks,

Hussein

• 7. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3

Hussein:

Thank you but I dont see where helps me. PLEASE point me to the place. My problem is "Create Inventory" prompt is missing now. It stores old value.

I looked the log file and the inventory stores the old inventory location which is inventory_patch.

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3

Please help.

• 9. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3
                          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

Check the contents of /etc/oraInst.loc file.

By the way, marking your own replies as helpful/correct does not give you points.

Thanks,

Hussein

• 10. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3
                            tvCa-Oracle

Most installers do not ask where the central inventory is, it just reads the file, creates the file, and carries on.

Make double sure that the user with which you are going to do the installation, can do the following:

Read the content of /etc/oraInst.loc

Preferably, also have write permission on that file. Navigate to the directory which is mentioned inside the file (should be only 1 clear variable with a path). After navigating to that path, test write a file in that path. The whole structure MUST be write/read open for the user that is going to install software on that server.

I could be wrong, but the path which is mentioned in the /etc/oraInst.loc should NEVER ever change again, until you re-install either the OS, or remove ALL Oracle software. Meaning, you set it once, and then it should always be the same. Some installers may add stuff to that file (like the group owner variable), so it must be open (read/write) on each install, but otherwise it may be closed (that means, outside of software installation and patching processes). An option you have, but not required, is to let ROOT have this kind of control.

• 11. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3
                              ora_tech

Hi,

The path located in "/etc/oraInst.loc" will be your central inventory. But what i believe is if you're using more than one software and with different users/groups then it not easy to manange one central Inventory for other softwares. Sometimes it is required to change the location of cetral inventory to proceed with your Installation.

Refer MOS tech notes:

How to Find Central Inventory inventory.xml (Doc ID 1470313.1)

Steps To Recreate Central Inventory(oraInventory) In RDBMS Homes (Doc ID 556834.1)

thanks,

X A H E E R

• 12. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3

Thank you all.

I learned from doing it that the very first Oracle installation, Oracle creates an entry into /etc/oraInst.loc. Before doing the next instance installation, (mutliple instance resides on the same box), I marked the first instance and manually added the second instance information. Do the same for the 3rd and 4th and mark all others. To me /etc/oraInst.loc is only used when installing the Oracle using runInstaller. After installation I use $ORACLE_HOME/oraInst.loc. Of couse these two all point to the same OraInventory location. Am I right?

Hussein, That was a mistake to mark my post "Helpful".  I found you are not only very knowledgeable, patient but also very humor. Really appreciate your great help and made a serious issue not that serious - I need that.  tvCa and XAHEER are great, too.

• 13. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3
                                  tvCa-Oracle

I'm not sure what you mean with "marking". I'm understanding that the variable in /etc/oraInst.loc changes on each installation. Is that correct ?

Can you post the content of oraInst.loc ?

Thanks

• 14. Re: Clone 11.2.0.3 software for R12.1.3
                                    ora_tech

HI,

I'm not sure what you mean with "marking".

@tvca-Oracle I belive OP means commenting

To me /etc/oraInst.loc is only used when installing the Oracle using runInstaller. After installation I use $ORACLE_HOME/oraInst.loc. Of couse these two all point to the same OraInventory location. Am I right?

Yes. If multiple oracle Instances exists on same server and you keep individual central Inventory for respcetive Installation. It will be difficult for you to manange patching as you need to comment respective Instances while applying pacthes.

thanks,

X A H E E R

1 2 Previous Next