1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 12, 2014 11:19 AM by Rajasekar Gunasekaran RSS

Can we install Oracle PDH/PIM in an existing EBS instance that is currently running Oracle Financial and SCM modules?

user12190381

Hi,

I am having an EBS instance which is currently running Oracle Finance and SCM modules. Now a new requirement has come to us to add Oracle Product Data Hub/PIM in the same instance.

My concern is whether I can activate and license Oracle PIM/PDH in the existing EBS instance and what would be the pros and cons for that? Else if I need any separate server for that, then what is the pros and cons of that?

Present instance architecture as follows:

1. No. of EBS application node: 3

2. No. of EBS database node: 1

3. No. of SSO/Discoverer application Node: 2

4. No. of SSO/Discoverer Database Node: 1

Kindly help me at the earliest with all the details.

• 1. Re: Can we install Oracle PDH/PIM in an existing EBS instance that is currently running Oracle Financial and SCM modules?
          Rajasekar Gunasekaran

Option 1: Keeping PDH in the same EBS Instance:

Factors to decide Option 1:

2. If there is dependancies on any of the existing EBS data flow with product data

3. if any of the existing business units/user groups are going to be same for PDH as well

4. if the Existing EBS owners have tolarance to keep the dependancy on down time/deployment/Envi Availability etc with the PDH .

5. If your Client can't afford to spend extra money to pruchase and setup new environements for PDH

then keeping PDH in the same ENS instance is best option.

Pros:

1. Keeping it in same EBS instance will reduce the no. of server maintainance (i.e less DBA activities like applying server/OS/jdk/EBS patches/upgrades etc.,), but you have to account the size of the PDH data (no. of items/attributes stored and its growth) and number of transactional operations (CPU utilization) going to happen on PDH side like daily updates/inbound/outbound data transaction, etc., and accordingly we may need to add few more nodes.

Cons:

1. Need to manage the additional CPU utilization going to happen because of the new functionalities from PDH , either by adding extra infrastructure (memory/RAM/Node)

Option 2: Keeping PDH in the seperate EBS Instance:

Factors to decide Option 2:

1. If any of your Finance and SCM module's have zero tolerance benchmark on the performance degrade of the existing functionality/operations

2. If there is no dependancies on any of the existing EBS data flow

3. the list of users groups/ business units/ people owining PDH are altogather going to be completly different

4. if the Existing EBS owners, Don't want to keep any dependancy on deployment/Envi Availability/down time etc on the new system.

5. If your DBA team have enough bandwidth to maintain new seperate servers for PDH

6. If your Client is ready to spend extra money to pruchase and setup new environements for PDH

then keeping the PDH as a seperate instance is better.