4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 7:26 PM by Hector Glz

Create Materialized View Refresh Fast On Commit Peoplesoft (SELECT MAX(L_Ed.Effdt)

Hector Glz

Hello All,

I am working on a Lab, prior to do it on Dev.  I took an HR schema, and build a couple of tables, 

CREATE TABLE foo(foo NUMBER, CONSTRAINT foo_pk PRIMARY KEY(foo));

CREATE TABLE bar(foo NUMBER, bar NUMBER, CONSTRAINT bar_pk PRIMARY KEY(foo, bar));

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW LOG ON foo WITH ROWID;

Create Materialized View Log On Bar With Rowid;

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW foo_bar

NOLOGGING

CACHE

BUILD IMMEDIATE

REFRESH FAST ON COMMIT  AS SELECT foo.foo,

bar.bar,

foo.ROWID AS foo_rowid,

bar.ROWID AS bar_rowid

From Foo, Bar

WHERE foo.foo = bar.foo;

This was token from: sql - Oracle - How to create a materialized view with FAST REFRESH and JOINS - Stack Overflow

It works, but then I tried this:

I imported Peoplesoft's Location Table in HR Schema and replicated above: CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW LOG ON Ps_Location_Tbl WITH ROWID;

What I need is to place on MV the lastest date of a given Location, like this:

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW SAT_LOCATION_MV

NOLOGGING

CACHE

BUILD IMMEDIATE

Refresh Fast On Commit  As

Select

L.ROWID AS LOC_ROWID,

L.*

FROM HR.Ps_Location_Tbl L

WHERE L.Effdt = (SELECT MAX(L_Ed.Effdt) FROM Hr.Ps_Location_Tbl L_Ed

WHERE L.Setid  = L_Ed.Setid

AND L.Location = L_Ed.Location

AND L.Effdt   <= L_Ed.Effdt

);

If I ran the select, works very well, but when I copy and paste it on the MV definition...

I got this error:

Error SQL: ORA-12054: "cannot set the ON COMMIT refresh attribute for the materialized view"

*Cause:    The materialized view did not satisfy conditions for refresh at

commit time.

*Action:   Specify only valid options.

This is, perhaps because I have a subquery to retrieve MAX(EFFDT);

Question:  How could I change the approach to build a MV?

Thanks in advance.

Hector

• 1. Re: Create Materialized View Refresh Fast On Commit Peoplesoft (SELECT MAX(L_Ed.Effdt)
          BobLilly

First you should double-check your SQL--the effective date logic doesn't look right. Normally, you would either use

L_Ed.Effdt <= sysdate

to get the most current row that is not future-dated, or not have any condition on L_Ed.Effdt at all to include future-dated rows. i.e.

WHERE L.Effdt = (

SELECT MAX(L_Ed.Effdt)

FROM Hr.Ps_Location_Tbl L_Ed

WHERE L.Setid  = L_Ed.Setid

AND L.Location = L_Ed.Location

);

Second, look at Chapter 18 - SQL Access Advisor in the Oracle 11g Performance Tuning manual (or Chapter 17 in the 10g manual) for an explanation and examples of how to use the DBMS_ADVISOR.TUNE_MVIEW procedure to help in rewriting your SQL so that it is fast refreshable.

• 2. Re: Create Materialized View Refresh Fast On Commit Peoplesoft (SELECT MAX(L_Ed.Effdt)
            Moazzam

Restrictions for Materialized Views with Subqueries

The defining query of a materialized view with a subquery is subject to several restrictions to preserve the materialized view's fast refresh capability.

The following are restrictions for fast refresh materialized views with subqueries:

• Materialized views must be primary key materialized views.
            • The master's materialized view log must include certain columns referenced in the subquery. For information about which columns must be included, see "Logging Columns in the Materialized View Log".
            • If the subquery is many to many or one to many, join columns that are not part of a primary key must be included in the materialized view log of the master. This restriction does not apply to many to one subqueries.
            • The subquery must be a positive subquery. For example, you can use the EXISTS condition, but not the NOTEXISTS condition.
            • The subquery must use EXISTS to connect each nested level (IN is not allowed).
            • Each table can be in only one EXISTS expression.
            • The join expression must use exact match or equality comparisons (that is, equi-joins).
            • Each table can be joined only once within the subquery.
            • A primary key must exist for each table at each nested level.
            • Each nested level can only reference the table in the level above it.
            • Subqueries can include AND conditions, but each OR condition can only reference columns contained within one row. Multiple OR conditions within a subquery can be connected with an AND condition.
            • All tables referenced in a subquery must reside in the same master site or master materialized view site.

Materialized View Concepts and Architecture

• 3. Re: Create Materialized View Refresh Fast On Commit Peoplesoft (SELECT MAX(L_Ed.Effdt)
              Hector Glz

Hello Moazzam,

I read the info that you kindly sent me.  It was very helpful, sadly I still cannot create a Fast Refresh not Commit Fast Refresh.

I added this to materialized log:

Alter Materialized View Log On Ps_Location_Tbl Add (Setid,LOCATION,Effdt,Eff_Status);

I tried several ways of refresh and it seems that my query is a complex one.

• 4. Re: Create Materialized View Refresh Fast On Commit Peoplesoft (SELECT MAX(L_Ed.Effdt)
                Hector Glz

Bob,

Variable Task_Cust_Mv Varchar2(30);

VARIABLE create_mv_ddl VARCHAR2(4000);

Execute :Task_Cust_Mv := 'MYTASK';

I try two sentences to evalute Dbms_Advisor.Tune_Mview

This is the first one, plain and easy:

Execute :Create_Mv_Ddl := 'CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW CUST_LOCATION_MV USING INDEX REFRESH ON COMMIT FAST WITH ROWID DISABLE QUERY REWRITE AS SELECT * From Ps_Location_Tbl L WHERE L.EFF_STATUS = ''A'' ';

Execute Dbms_Advisor.Tune_Mview(:Task_Cust_Mv, :Create_Mv_Ddl);

As result came an error: QSM-03116: The materialized view is already optimal and cannot be tuned any further

Which is very good.

However when I added the self join with Select Max:

Execute :Create_Mv_Ddl := 'CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW CUST_LOCATION_MV USING INDEX REFRESH ON COMMIT FAST WITH ROWID DISABLE QUERY REWRITE AS SELECT *  FROM Ps_Location_Tbl L  WHERE L.EFF_STATUS = ''A'' AND L.Effdt  = (SELECT MAX(L_Ed.Effdt) FROM Hr.Ps_Location_Tbl L_Ed WHERE L.Setid  = L_Ed.Setid AND L.Location = L_Ed.Location )';

Execute Dbms_Advisor.Tune_Mview(:Task_Cust_Mv, :Create_Mv_Ddl);    

As result is this:

SM-03112: Invalid CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW statement

ORA-12054: cannot set the ON COMMIT refresh attribute for the materialized view

Thanks