7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2014 8:23 AM by DTSIguy RSS

Why Data Report is not ready for prime time

oradba101

I was really looking forward to using this product for some end users I support. Unfortunately, I am not able to get links to work.

I have three reports that I created:

1. license - detail
      2. premises
      3. license count by town.

If I create a link between 2 and 3 then it works for those. When I create a link between 1 and 2 then it does not work. When I edit the link I find the join column to be surrounded by # symbols which is not the case between the link on reports 2 and 3.

I then logout and login but the result is the same. If I change the link column to the value without the # it works fine until I login again. When I press the link the login prompt appears every time.

Also to note that if the links are changed manually then the links will always prompt for a login after I logout and login again.

I find it hard to believe that I am the first one to encounter this issue. And if I am not then I can only attribute it to apathy from Oracle.

• 1. Re: Why Data Report is not ready for prime time
          scott.wesley

I think it's just the link definition is poorly formed.

Would you be able to provide details on what the Action settings are? What are the declartive attributes? Is a URL target used? What value is used?

• 2. Re: Why Data Report is not ready for prime time
            oradba101

It is a locked application so I do not believe that I can answer these questions. I perhaps need further instruction on how to respond to your request.

Thanka

• 3. Re: Why Data Report is not ready for prime time
              scott.wesley

So if you find there is a bug, how are you going to fix it?

What do you mean by locked, is this a packaged application?

Locked packaged applications can be unlocked, or copied then unlocked.

But if it's a report you created, how can it be locked? I don't understand...

• 4. Re: Why Data Report is not ready for prime time
                Billy~Verreynne

oradba101 wrote:

I find it hard to believe that I am the first one to encounter this issue. And if I am not then I can only attribute it to apathy from Oracle.

I find it hard to believe that you can be so full of it. I can only attribute to suffering from an overinflated ego on your part. (only throwing your comment back at you )

Especially as Apex 4 is a mature product and use by customers from all parts of the world for running enterprise critical web applications - yet you automatically think your attempts and coding to be perfect, and when it fails, the problem is on the part of Oracle.. and related to their apathy.

REALLY!??

• 5. Re: Why Data Report is not ready for prime time
                  oradba101

I think you need to take a step back. I should have done that before posting myself. It was a post that was made out of frustration but I suppose that has never happened to you, right? I shall take more time in the future to think things through before posting. How's that?

• 6. Re: Why Data Report is not ready for prime time
                    Billy~Verreynne

Everyone gets frustrated at times. Human nature.

But to target a product's imaginary flaws - that I have a problem with. When I ran into a technical problem my first thought is always "well, you stuffed it up again Billy". I never think I am that good that my code, my configurations, my technical efforts, are perfect. I look at myself to blame BEFORE blaming the product/technology/language/whatever. And when I do blame the product, I want to make very sure that I have my facts straight and evidence to back my claims up.

Yet, time after time I see developers blaming everything but their own attempts and own code. Worse, some refusing to even attempt to understand the real nature of the problem, as it must be the product (Oracle db in my experience).. and I am in amazement that such people can actually think of themselves as being technical and being able to design and write code.

So it is refreshing too see that you are prepared to step back and look at the bigger picture.

• 7. Re: Why Data Report is not ready for prime time
                      DTSIguy

Wow....and it's not even Monday!

It sounds as if an invalid assumption was made when the links were initially defined.  But that's a guess at best w/o further information on the problem.

I presume that all three reports work just fine individually.  You indicate the link from Report 2 to 3 works just fine but upon creating the link from 1 to 2..."...then it does not work."  What exactly did the mean?