1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 20, 2014 12:45 PM by pauljohny100 RSS

Oracle Cloud vrs Amazon - what's the story ?

Jimbo

Hi,

I am trying to discern how Oracle and Amazon fit together in relation to a Cloud offering.

I know Oracle use Amazon as their cloud partner but I am not sure exactly what part Oracle play in the process ?

I know Oracle have some cloud applications ( I guess these would be categorised as SaaS ? ) such as Oracle Human Capital Management Could.

I also know that some of the Oracle Middleware and their Database product can be deployed in a Cloud

Q1. If you choose one of these applications or products would Amazon still have to provide the Cloud Environment ( i.e. the PaaS and IaaS layers ) and you simply install the Oracle product into this environment ?

Q2. Effectively do you get a utility based charge from Amazon for the environment and a license based charge for the product from Oracle or how does the offering typically work ? Is it a full license charge from Oracle ?

Q3. I see a lot about Private vrs Public Cloud. Is this issue separate from hosting i.e. is it to do with you having a dedicated or shared cloud regardless of where it is hosted ?

Q4. If you host a cloud in your own premises for your own use, then I guess this would be a private cloud ? Why have such an arrangement instead of simply locating some servers on your LAN / WAN ?

Q5. I cannot think why you would host a Public Cloud on your own premises – except if you were either a Cloud provider or you had spare capacity you were willing to sell out ?

Any wisdom greatly appreciated

Jim

• 1. Re: Oracle Cloud vrs Amazon - what's the story ?
          pauljohny100

1 The amazon cloud machine at start will be empty so you will have to install everything

2 For question 4

If you host a cloud in your own premises for your own use, then I guess this would be a private cloud ? Why have such an arrangement instead of simply locating some servers on your LAN / WAN ?

Reason a person wll go for cloud one is suppose you want to host your application as trial for users . Thats one scenario  Like the product is running 24 hours

and you don't have to worry about electricity charges,  And  idea is you are getting your computer or server on hire..

5 For question number 5 i use it for running hosted applications. The server runs 24 hours..