3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2014 10:13 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Headless install

11c72a91-b778-4b1b-affa-b96fcc935773

I'm trying to install Oracle database 12 in a KVM virtual guest running Oracle Linux 6. The host is Fedora 20.

I followed the instructions here: http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/12c/oracle-db-12cr1-installation-on-oracle-linux-6.php

I used the automatic pre install rpm.

I'm logging to the virtual server using ssh. So there is no X. Now when I run ./runInstaller I get an error:

[code]

Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2014-06-22_11-39-31AM. Please wait ...[oracle@o6 database]$ Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11.XToolkit

at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169)

at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:834)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:826)

at com.jgoodies.looks.LookUtils.isLowResolution(LookUtils.java:484)

at com.jgoodies.looks.LookUtils.<clinit>(LookUtils.java:249)

at com.jgoodies.looks.plastic.PlasticLookAndFeel.<clinit>(PlasticLookAndFeel.java:135)

at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:247)

at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.loadSystemClass(SwingUtilities.java:1850)

at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.java:557)

at oracle.install.commons.util.Application.startup(Application.java:792)

at oracle.install.commons.flow.FlowApplication.startup(FlowApplication.java:165)

at oracle.install.commons.flow.FlowApplication.startup(FlowApplication.java:182)

at oracle.install.commons.base.driver.common.Installer.startup(Installer.java:355)

at oracle.install.ivw.db.driver.DBInstaller.startup(DBInstaller.java:130)

at oracle.install.ivw.db.driver.DBInstaller.main(DBInstaller.java:161)

[/code]

As I understand I need to run a silent installation as explained here: ORACLE-BASE - Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) Silent Installations

But to create the response file I need to run the installer as a GUI, which I would like to avoid. Or edit the response file with lots of opaque install parameters.

Do I understand it right? What am I missing?