4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2014 4:02 PM by rp0428 RSS

Project naming best practices

gdillen

hi

the naming conventions for coding Java applications are clear to me. I'm  wondering what the best practices are for naming Java projects e.g. when creating a new project in NetBeans IDE or in BitBucket?

thanks.

• 1. Re: Project naming best practices
          rp0428
          the naming conventions for coding Java applications are clear to me.

They are? What are they? Different orgs have their own naming standards. Other people have to be able to read, understand, maintain and enhance your code so standards are important.

I'm  wondering what the best practices are for naming Java projects e.g. when creating a new project in NetBeans IDE or in BitBucket?

No one but your own business users and IT team even cares what you name your projects.

• 2. Re: Project naming best practices
            gdillen

They are? What are they? Different orgs have their own naming standards. Other people have to be able to read, understand, maintain and enhance your code so standards are important.

There seems to be a consensus between organisations on naming packages, classes, methods etc!

• 3. Re: Project naming best practices
              jwenting

Sun set out a naming convention way back in 1997 (or maybe it was 1996), which most people follow.

Sadly the download links for it seem to have died some time after Oracle absorbed Sun.

• 4. Re: Project naming best practices
                rp0428
                There seems to be a consensus between organisations on naming packages, classes, methods etc!

So? That isn't what you ask about.

You ask about naming projects - those are specific to your org.