5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2014 2:22 PM by aceinc RSS

How can you recreate the listener service in Oracle 11g?

aceinc

I upgraded Oracle 11g 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.4. on Windows 2008 R2 x64. After I was done, I thought I would get rid of the old Oracle Home. I ran the "deinstall" in the original Oracle home, and it deleted the listener.

Two questions;

1) How can I recreate the listener service?

2) How can I deinstall an Oracle home without removing the listener in the future?

• 1. Re: How can you recreate the listener service in Oracle 11g?
          Paul M.

2) How can I deinstall an Oracle home without removing the listener in the future?

Don't worry about that.

At OS prompt just set your environment (ORACLE_HOME, PATH,...) and execute

C:\>lsnrctl start

• 2. Re: How can you recreate the listener service in Oracle 11g?
            Veeresh.S

Either using netca/netmgr or manually by adding below similar contents in the listener.ora file which will be located in $ORACLE_HOME\network\admin\

SID_LIST_LISTENER =

(SID_LIST =

(SID_DESC =

(GLOBAL_DBNAME = ORCL)

(ORACLE_HOME = $ORACLE_HOME)

(SID_NAME = ORCL)

)

)

LISTENER =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = LOCALHOST)(PORT = 1521))

)

then in service.msc you can find 1 new service by the above name, Paul has given how to start it.

Before deinstalling take the backup of old $ORACLE_HOME\network\admin\listener.ora file and paste to new oracle home(under network\admin) directory and point the ORACLE_HOME in the file to new oracle home.

• 3. Re: How can you recreate the listener service in Oracle 11g?
              aceinc

Paul:

Thanks for the reply.

I recreated the service using Net Configuration Assistant, I really should have known that.

Paul M. wrote:

Don't worry about that.

I absolutely worry about this, because I will doing this same sort of upgrade on a few more servers, and I would like to get rid of the original oracle home.

Oracle suggests doing a manual uninstall which looks time consuming, and potentially error prone.

• 4. Re: How can you recreate the listener service in Oracle 11g?
                EdStevens

aceinc wrote:

Paul:

Thanks for the reply.

I recreated the service using Net Configuration Assistant, I really should have known that.

Paul M. wrote:

Don't worry about that.

I absolutely worry about this, because I will doing this same sort of upgrade on a few more servers, and I would like to get rid of the original oracle home.

Oracle suggests doing a manual uninstall which looks time consuming, and potentially error prone.

WHere does oracle "recommend a manual uninstall"?

It's true that with 11g the OUI gui tool no longer actually uninstalls, and instead tells you go to go run a 'deinstall' script.  But that script automates everything .. actually better than the OUI gui did prior to 11g.  I just deinstalled 3 oracle homes last week and it is painless. 

OK, so you have to do this on a few more servers.  Now you know what you need to do.  Add it to your written instructions/checklist. 

• 5. Re: How can you recreate the listener service in Oracle 11g?
                  Paul M.

And what's the problem ? You can always recreate the listener, as I shown above.