4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 1:27 PM by 2702694

SQL Developer Database Copy - Can you copy from a non-Oracle database?

I was hoping to use the Database Copy utility in Oracle SQL Developer 4.0.2.15 to copy data from a sybase database table into an oracle database table. I have created connections to both the Sybase and the Oracle database, however only the Oracle connection is available in the 'Source Connection' and 'Destination Connection' drop-downs within the Database Copy Wizard. Is it possible to use this utility to copy from a non-Oracle database, any advice would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: SQL Developer Database Copy - Can you copy from a non-Oracle database?
          Irian

Assuming you only need to copy a single table (or just a handful of tables) the "Copy to Oracle" function should pop up when you right click on your target table from the Tables node on the sybase connection.

If you need to migrate more tables this might become time consuming, but in that case you should probably consider using the SQLDeveloper migration functions that are specially designed to migrate whole schemas from third party databases to Oracle (for this right click on the sybase connection itself and choose "Migrate to Oracle").

• 2. Re: SQL Developer Database Copy - Can you copy from a non-Oracle database?

Thanks Irian, I managed to successfully copy a database table using the option you advised. I don't suppose you know if it's possible to script this action, we have a number of sybase database tables (but certainly not the whole schema) that we would like to copy to an already existing oracle database and this would be ideal if we could take away the manual effort.

• 3. Re: SQL Developer Database Copy - Can you copy from a non-Oracle database?
              Irian

The database migration function might still be your best bet here, you have a lot of options and you can also generate off-line migration scripts that you can then tweak/reuse to suit your needs; it's intended to migrate whole schemas but you can of course use it to migrate a little less than that, it does require a repository and a little bit more user action than the copy to oracle function thou.

Another option to explore could be the SQLDeveloper command line features, unfortunately I haven't had a chance to play with these features myself yet, but if the copy to oracle function is included in the functions supported by the command line interface it should then be trivial to write a script for it.

EDIT

I've left out the most obvious solution, you can select more than one table from the tables node and "Copy to Oracle" works on all the selected tables at once, not as reusable as a command line script but still saves you some time.

Messaggio modificato da Irian

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: SQL Developer Database Copy - Can you copy from a non-Oracle database?

Thanks again Irian, I think that selecting more than one table to 'Copy to Oracle' might just do the trick.