0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2014 3:32 AM by rp0428

SQL Developer 4.0.2.15.21 bug or incompatibility with JDev 12.1.3 or Extension SDK

I first reported this problem earlier this month in this thread:

https://community.oracle.com/message/12506583#12506583

At that time I could only test with JDeveloper 12.1.2 since the version that Sql Developer is based on (12.1.3) was NOT publicly available.

Yesterday JDeveloper 12.1.3 was released publicly so I am reposting the problem. The full details are in that other thread so will not repost them all - the identical code gives the same problem.

The basic issue is this: A slightly modified version of the FirstSample extension that is included in the extension SDK works properly in JDeveloper 12.1.2 and 12.1.3 but does NOT work properly in Sql Developer 4.0.2.15.21. This is on Windows XP SP3 - 32 bit using JDK 1.7.0_51

H:\Java7\jdk1.7.0_51\bin>java -version
      java version "1.7.0_51"
      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13)
      Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

H:\Java7\jdk1.7.0_51\bin>

Submenus and submenu items added to a context menu do NOT display in sql developer but do display in JDev.

Individual items added to a context menu work properly but submenus do not.

1. Sql Dev 4.0.2.15.21 is based on the JDev 12.1.3 framework which is now publicly released

2. The below sample (based on JDev Extension SDK FirstSample) displays context menu items and submenu and submenuitems correctly

3. The same sample in Sql Dev does NOT contain the submenu and submenu items. Is this a bug or some sort of incompatibility between frameworks?

The starting point was the FirstSample from the latest Extension SDK. I confirmed that this sample worked in both JDev 12.1.2.0.0, JDev 12.1.3.0.0 and Sql Dev 4.0.2.15.21

This is what displays, correctly, in JDev

Connection

Tables

DEPT

ESDK Sample Action

Custom Item 1

Custom Item 2

CustomSubMenu

Custom Submenu Item1

Custom Submenu Item2

The submenu and items do NOT display in Sql Dev

Connection

Tables

DEPT

ESDK Sample Action

Custom Item 1

Custom Item 2

The complete list of modifications is provided in the previous thread and were made to the 'extension.xml' file for that sample with the goal of displaying additional context-menu items on a 'TABLE' node of the database Navigator:

I don't know which of three hypotheses (or others) might be correct:

1. Something broke in the new 12.1.3 framework that works in the 12.1.2 framework

2. The XSD schema rules changed for specifying submenus

3. Something broke/changed in the Sql Dev port/use of the framework

4. The Sql Dev team is using a different 12.1.3 framework than the one that was just released publicly

5. There is some 32 bit vs. 64 bit issue somewhere