5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2014 11:22 AM by Marco Milo-Oracle RSS

ODSEE 7 - 11.1.1.3.0 Replication from multiple masters(not multimaster) into one consumer (into same DIT)

user2044871

Hi All,

Would you be able to help me regarding a replication question?

We have an existing LDAP topology where we maintain masters and consumers.

We have a request to expose (if it is possible) an additional suffixes into the current DIT on consumer side.

Here is the situation :

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

What do you think? is it possible to do this way?

The goal is to get the objects from ou=europe and ou=us and from ou=company as well when the search is on the ou=company,dc=example,dc=com with scope =2 (subtree)

Thank you for your help

regards

Laszlo

• 1. Re: ODSEE 7 - 11.1.1.3.0 Replication from multiple masters(not multimaster) into one consumer (into same DIT)
          Marco Milo-Oracle

Hello Laszlo,

let me recap, just to verify I understood correctly your problem: in your topology you currently have 3 'master' directory servers each mastering a root-suffix:

• MASTER1-1, MASTER1-2... : ou=company,dc=example,dc=com
          • MASTER2-1, MASTER2-2... : ou=europe,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com
          • MASTER3-1, MASTER3-2... : ou=us,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com

and per each master you have a set of consumers which is getting the replication from the relevant master

• CONSUMER1-1, CONSUMER1-2... : ou=company,dc=example,dc=com (incoming replication from MASTER1-1, MASTER1-2...)
          • CONSUMER2-1, CONSUMER2-2... : ou=europe,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com (incoming replication from MASTER2-1, MASTER2-2...)
          • CONSUMER3-1, CONSUMER3-2... : ou=us,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com (incoming replication from MASTER3-1, MASTER3-2...)

Now you'd like to build a new set of consumers which is getting the incoming replication agreements from *ALL* the masters, is that correct?

If this is your goal, then on these "global consumers", you can define the additional sub-suffixes (ou=europe,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com and ou=us,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com) and get following type of replication agreements:

• CONSUMER1, CONSUMER2...:
            • ou=company,dc=example,dc=com (incoming replication from MASTER1-1, MASTER1-2...)
            • ou=europe,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com (incoming replication from MASTER2-1, MASTER2-2...)
            • ou=us,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com (incoming replication from MASTER3-1, MASTER3-2...)

This is if you want to solve your "problem" with a Directory Server instance... otherwise, (depending on your needs, network infrastructure, etc...) you could also think to consider the Directory Proxy Server (OUD/OVD in later SW releases)

thanks and regards,

marco

• 2. Re: ODSEE 7 - 11.1.1.3.0 Replication from multiple masters(not multimaster) into one consumer (into same DIT)
            user2044871

Hi Marco,

thank you for your response

Well,

at the moment I have two masters (multi-master) replicating the ou=company,dc=example,dc=com suffix towards the consumer. (it is not the root)

I need/want to expose additional (new) suffixes (europe/us) under ou=company,dc=example,dc=com due to the reason I want have/keep the searches on that suffix (ou=company,dc=example,dc=com) from the clients with subtree search.

The masters of ou=europe,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com and ou=us,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com are not replicated at all at the moment.

Those are the ones I would like to add to the consumer (btw. I have ~16 consumers)

Unfortunately I can not deploy Directory Proxy in the topology , it involves a very massive reconfiguration for our network infra/client application (the local copy of dbs from consumer side is required).

We need the simplest and quickest solution for this setup.

The consumer(s) are highly used and serving mission critical clients/applications.

I just would like to know if I create the new two (ou=europe and ou=us) suffixes (dbs), set the ou=company as parent and enable the master-consumer (where the masters are completely separated from the ou=company masters) replication to populate the two new suffixes/dbs with the objects it won't cause any problem for ODSEE LDAP service and client searches will get the objects from all 3 suffixes when they are targeted to ou=company,dc=example,dc=com with scope=2.

All servers will use the same custom schema, the only difference from topology perspective is the different source of the two/new (us/europe) suffix.

thank you

Laszlo

• 3. Re: ODSEE 7 - 11.1.1.3.0 Replication from multiple masters(not multimaster) into one consumer (into same DIT)
              Marco Milo-Oracle

Hi Laszlo,

thank you for the additional clarification; in that scenario, adding the two sub-suffixes and creating the replication from the other masters (ou=europe and ou=us) shouldn't be an issue, as long as you have created the same structure also the other masters.

Basically you could have on all the masters (company, europe and us) the root suffix which will always be: ou=company,dc=example,dc=com, then on the "europe" and "us" directories it will be just a kind of 'empty placeholder', whereas in the "company" directories will be fully populated:

Master "Company" 1 - root suffix: ou=company,dc=example,dc=com                [This sub-suffix will contain the data and will be replicated]

Master "Company" 2 - root suffix: ou=company,dc=example,dc=com                [This sub-suffix will contain the data and will be replicated]

Master "Europe" 1 - root suffix: ou=company,dc=example,dc=com                    [This suffix will remain mostly empty and not replicated]

Master "Europe" 1 - sub-suffix: ou=europe,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com    [This sub-suffix will contain the data and will be replicated]

Master "Europe" 2 - root suffix: ou=company,dc=example,dc=com                    [This suffix will remain mostly empty and not replicated]

Master "Europe" 2 - sub-suffix: ou=europe,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com    [This sub-suffix will contain the data and will be replicated]

Master "US" 1 - root suffix: ou=company,dc=example,dc=com                   [This suffix will remain mostly empty and not replicated]

Master "US" 1 - sub-suffix: ou=us,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com          [This sub-suffix will contain the data and will be replicated]

Master "US" 2 - root suffix: ou=company,dc=example,dc=com                   [This suffix will remain mostly empty and not replicated]

Master "US" 2 - sub-suffix: ou=us,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com          [This sub-suffix will contain the data and will be replicated]

Replication:

• ou=company,dc=example,dc=com:
                • msco1 <---MMR--> msco2
                • msco1 ---> cons01, 02, ... 16
                • msco2 ---> cons01, 02, ... 16
              • ou=europe,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com
                • mseu1 <---MMR--> mseu2
                • mseu1 ---> cons01, 02, ... 16
                • mseu2 ---> cons01, 02, ... 16
              • ou=us,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com
                • msus1 <---MMR--> msus2
                • msus1 ---> cons01, 02, ... 16
                • msus2 ---> cons01, 02, ... 16

HTH,

marco

• 4. Re: ODSEE 7 - 11.1.1.3.0 Replication from multiple masters(not multimaster) into one consumer (into same DIT)
                user2044871

Thanks Marco

About the placeholders, it is only required to prevent any object creation with those names/dns (which can cause replication failure).

What do you think if I create the ou=europe,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com and ou=us,ou=company,dc=example,dc=com as non-replicated (subs) suffixes on the masters and set referral-mode = enable and point them to the masters which are actually used for data propagation, replication.

regards

Laszlo

• 5. Re: ODSEE 7 - 11.1.1.3.0 Replication from multiple masters(not multimaster) into one consumer (into same DIT)
                  Marco Milo-Oracle

Hi Laszlo,

yes, the placeholders needs only to exist to avoid generating changes that may break the replication.

However the choice of adopting referrals instead replication really depends on many factors like: the amount of data, how you want to distribute them, network bandwidth/throughput, number and frequency of searches and changes, ability of the LDAP-client applications to handle/follow the referrals, ACI structures, per-country data regulations and limitations, etc...

Of course, the previous is not intended to be an exhaustive list, and you may easily find other considerations to support either one or the other approach; these are the cases in which an in-depth assessment may help clarify the situation and support the final business decision.

HTH,

marco

DISCLAIMER: I'm an Oracle Employee ;-)

P.S.: If that answers your question, please don't forget the mark the helpful answers and the solution ;-)