7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2014 6:58 PM by achana RSS

Folders in Connections Pane Disappeared!

achana

I am on SQL Developer 3.2.20.09 and Windows 7 Prof sp1

I am trying to get to know SQL Developer better and I clicked on a lot of things.

Somehow, in the Connections-Pane, I must have removed the folders, so now I see all the users as well as the database instances e.g. both the user and owner MWREP and the instance mwrep_orcl

It's not life-threatening, just a bit annoying because I only want to see the instances. Obviously I don't want to delete the users either.

So how to I toggle back to a folders-only view on the Connections pane?

• 1. Re: Folders in Connections Pane Disappeared!
          Gary Graham-Oracle

Hi achana,

You should have no problem if you ever...

1. Right-clicked on the Connections node and backed up your connection definitions with Export Connections..., or

2. Initially loaded connections definitions (including folder assignments) using Import Connections...

Otherwise, try searching under C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system3.2.20.09.87\ for a connections.xml file, where such things get stored.  Perhaps this got corrupted, but still contains the folder definitions and assignments.  If so, make a copy for reference  Anyway, I would reconstruct the folder/connection assignments in the UI, then make a backup using Export Connections...

Regards,
          Gary

SQL Developer Team

• 2. Re: Folders in Connections Pane Disappeared!
            achana

Dear Gary,

When you say "...reconstruct the folder/connection assignments in the UI,...", do you mean to right click and delete all the connections and users in the Connections pane, then add the schema back to the UI?

Wouldn't SQL Developer go and delete the user and drop the schema in SID=ORCL if I do that?

Right now I have only one database instance, ORCL, but I will be creating another database e.g. Sales and add the instance Sales

• 3. Re: Folders in Connections Pane Disappeared!
              Gary Graham-Oracle

By reconstruct the folder/connection assignments in the UI, I meant to say...

1. For each Database Connection (representing some user schema) under the Connections node

2. Right-click on it, then select Add to Folder.  Either select a folder name already in the context menu's list, or create one using New Folder...

And, no, dropping a Database Connection from SQL Developer's Connections tree will not cause any user deletion or schema dropping in Oracle.

If corruption of the connections.xml file caused the loss of the (instance name) folders rather than you merely removing them, then I would alter the instructions a bit...

1. Export all your existing Database Connections to some file like myConnections.xml.

2. Exit SQL Developer

3. Delete (or, conservatively, just rename) the connections.xml file.

4. Start-up SQL Developer.

5. Import the Database Connections just exported in (1).

6. For each Database Connection (representing some user schema) under the Connections node

7. Right-click on it, then select Add to Folder.  Either select a folder name already in the context menu's list, or create one using New Folder...

I hope that clarifies everything.

• 4. Re: Folders in Connections Pane Disappeared!
                achana

Dear Gary,

Thank-you again!

• 5. Re: Folders in Connections Pane Disappeared!
                  achana

Dear Gary,

This gives me an EXCELLENT excuse to upgrade from 3.2 to version 4.0

I am simply using Windows' Control Panel -> Program and Features to uninstall the current 3.2 and then install 4.0

Any word of advice and experience you would like to share with me on upgrading before I plunge ahead?

Kinda Regards

• 6. Re: Folders in Connections Pane Disappeared!
                    Gary Graham-Oracle

Control Panel works for checking which Java JDK versions you have installed, but will not provide any information on SQL Developer installations.  Keep in mind that you need not remove 3.2.2 -- having multiple installed versions is just fine.  Just unzip each SQL Developer into its own directory under some general folder like D:\Dev. 

If you are not already aware, by default the user settings for each installed version are kept separate under

C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system3.2.20.09.87

C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.0.2.15.21

and so on...

Prior to 4.0, the SetJavaHome line in sqldeveloper.conf controlled which JDK gets used.  Now, for 4.0 and above, this is in

C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\sqldeveloper\1.0.0.0.0\product.conf

Reading over the release notes should help you get off to a good start.

Best Wishes,

Gary

• 7. Re: Folders in Connections Pane Disappeared!
                      achana

Dear Gary

Going back to September 2013!  I remember now, I downloaded and reinstalled Java and Oracle11g after a hardware problem and my current SQLDeveloper came with the Oracle download, so I installed the no-jre version of it. Now I ended up with 2 SQLDeveloper.conf files.

c:\> javac -version tells me I am still on version 1.7.0_40 of Java SE Development Kit 7.

c:\> echo %JAVA_HOME% confirms my user path c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_40

c:\> echo %ORACLE_HOME% confirms my user path c:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1

c:\app\sqldeveloper64-3.2.20.09.87-no-jre\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.conf

IncludeConfFile ../../ide/bin/ide.conf

SetJavaHome C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_40

AddVMOption  -Doracle.ide.util.AddinPolicyUtils.OVERRIDE_FLAG=true

AddVMOption -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false

AddVMOption -Dwindows.shell.font.languages=AddVMOption  -XX:MaxPermSize=256M

AddVMOption -Doracle.jdbc.mapDateToTimestamp=false

IncludeConfFile  sqldeveloper-nondebug.conf

Oracle has a copy of the SQLDeveloper.conf in c:\%ORACLE_HOME%\sqldeveloper\bin and I am assuming that during the Oracle installion and subsequent configuration, Oracle created the SQLDeveloper for me in this directory:c:\app\sqldeveloper64-3.2.20.09.87-no-jre\sqldeveloper\bin

Thanks for all the tips and passing on your knowledge.

That's strange, I cannot modify the html in this box...