3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2014 6:16 AM by Abdul Shaikh RSS

Best practices for setting up a Dev and Prod environment in the same host

Jose Aróstegui

Hi experts,

I've prepared a production environment in a Linux host, and I need to set up an enviroment for development in the same host.

What are the best practices or recommendations for this? I guess I have to set up a new domain listening in a different port, but not sure at all.

Thanks in advance,
      Jose.

• 1. Re: Best practices for setting up a Dev and Prod environment in the same host
          Abdul Shaikh

Hii Jose,

First point is it is not advisable to setup production and development environment in a single physical server.

Now, if you want to setup  same you can create a new domain in which you assign the unused port (i.e port which is not used in production) to the admin server and managed server.

You need to consider the heap size as well, you can run "free" command to find out the free memory available in the server and then accordingly you can provide the heap size to admin server and managed server based on your requirement.

Regards,

Abdul 

• 2. Re: Best practices for setting up a Dev and Prod environment in the same host
            Jose Aróstegui

Thanks for your help Abdul.

a) Is it advisable to have managed servers? I think I haven't configured any.

b) How do I set up heap size?

c) Is there any rule of thumb to calculate heap size depending on memory available?

• 3. Re: Best practices for setting up a Dev and Prod environment in the same host
              Abdul Shaikh

Hii Jose,

a) Is it advisable to have managed servers? I think I haven't configured any.

It depends upon your requirement, an ideal practice stated Admin Server should be used for the configuration purpose and we create managed server and deploy the application to server the request. There are other many factors for having managed server like MSI Mode, Clustering, etc.

b) How do I set up heap size?

A) In the startManagedWeblogic script for the managed servers

$DOMAIN_HOME/bin/startManagedWebLogic.sh/cmd
              JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m" ${JAVA_OPTIONS}

B) In the setDomainEnv.sh script for the managed servers and admin server (domain wide)

USER_MEM_ARGS="-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m"

https://blogs.oracle.com/imc/entry/weblogic_server_performance_and_tuning

c) Is there any rule of thumb to calculate heap size depending on memory available?

There is no rule as such, basically depending on the requirement heap size may vary.

The point which needs to consider is your heap size should always be less than the total available memory, i would suggest to start with  -Xms512m (minimum) -Xmx1024m(maximum) then after if there any performance issue you can increase the size.

Regards,

Abdul