2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2014 4:58 PM by Alexandra Robin RSS

BLOB to VARCHAR2

Alexandra Robin

I have a form that our "Document Control Engineer" uses to catalog documents stored on a server. I'm using a File Browse item to capture the path to the document, using the example of the Sample File Upload and Download packaged application as a guide.  It works beautifully..  My table has these (and more) fields:

MY_TABLE

TABLE_ID

ITEMNO

ITEM_TITLE

FILENAME

FILE_MIMETYPE

FILE_CHARSET

FILE_BLOB

FILE_BLOB_LAST_UPDATE

My (scaled down) report looks like the table below without the FILE_BLOB column. I don't need to display that column on the report, rather I have been asked by my boss to create a report that can be run that checks that the path is accurate. The form from which it is derived holds status and other information which I am thinking I can use to compare the BLOB link with where the document should actually be stored IF the user has completed the form correctly.

TABLE_IDDOWNLOADITEMNOITEM_TITLEFILENAMEMY FILE_BLOB COLUMN THAT I WANT TO DISPLAY AS TEXT
      1000OpenAR-BIKEHOW TO RIDE A BIKEbikeRide.pdf\\myServer\myFolder\bideRide.pdf

As I type this I am wondering if there is another solution to this, possibly creating validations for each step on the form so the user has no chance of saving the form unless the link is created correctly.

Your expert suggestions are apty appreciated in advance!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: BLOB to VARCHAR2
          fac586

Alexandra Robin wrote:

I have a form that our "Document Control Engineer" uses to catalog documents stored on a server. I'm using a File Browse item to capture the path to the document, using the example of the Sample File Upload and Download packaged application as a guide.  It works beautifully..  My table has these (and more) fields:

MY_TABLE

TABLE_ID

ITEMNO

ITEM_TITLE

FILENAME

FILE_MIMETYPE

FILE_CHARSET

FILE_BLOB

FILE_BLOB_LAST_UPDATE

My (scaled down) report looks like the table below without the FILE_BLOB column. I don't need to display that column on the report, rather I have been asked by my boss to create a report that can be run that checks that the path is accurate. The form from which it is derived holds status and other information which I am thinking I can use to compare the BLOB link with where the document should actually be stored IF the user has completed the form correctly.

TABLE_IDDOWNLOADITEMNOITEM_TITLEFILENAMEMY FILE_BLOB COLUMN THAT I WANT TO DISPLAY AS TEXT
          1000 Open AR-BIKE HOW TO RIDE A BIKE bikeRide.pdf \\myServer\myFolder\bideRide.pdf

As I type this I am wondering if there is another solution to this, possibly creating validations for each step on the form so the user has no chance of saving the form unless the link is created correctly.

Your expert suggestions are apty appreciated in advance!

Thanks!

You appear to have misunderstood how this actually works. The FILE_BLOB column contains the [complete] contents of the uploaded file, not a path reference to the original location. BLOB = Binary Large OBject, i.e. a container for unstructured (as far as the DB is concerned) raw data.

As I pointed out in your previous thread, for security and privacy reasons the original file path is completely unobtainable by the database through the file upload mechanism (except if using certain insecure configurations of Internet Explorer).

• 2. Re: BLOB to VARCHAR2
            Alexandra Robin

Hi Again - You still around fac586?

I guess what I'm trying to do is file browse out to grab the path and the filename.  Is there another way to do this?