3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2014 11:14 AM by fac586 RSS

Run theme in standards compliant mode.

Arijit Kanrar

Hello everyone,

We are running Apex 4.1.1.00.23 on a Oracle 10g server.

We have an application which uses the Sand theme (theme 10).

All was good until recently we had to implement features that required us to use CSS like position: fixed; for creating tool-tips etc.

These don't work because the browser (IE8) runs in 'Quirks' mode as the theme doesn't use standards compliant features. We had to resort to using third-party JS libraries to make the tool-tips work.

If I force the browser to run in a standards compliant mode then the whole page gets messed up rendering-wise.

Is there any patch available to make this theme work in  a standards-compliant mode?

Regards,

Arijit

• 1. Re: Run theme in standards compliant mode.
          fac586

Arijit Kanrar wrote:

We are running Apex 4.1.1.00.23 on a Oracle 10g server.

We have an application which uses the Sand theme (theme 10).

All was good until recently we had to implement features that required us to use CSS like position: fixed; for creating tool-tips etc.

These don't work because the browser (IE8) runs in 'Quirks' mode as the theme doesn't use standards compliant features. We had to resort to using third-party JS libraries to make the tool-tips work.

If I force the browser to run in a standards compliant mode then the whole page gets messed up rendering-wise.

Is there any patch available to make this theme work in  a standards-compliant mode?

No, in theme 10 world it is always 1999.

You would have saved a lot of wasted effort if you'd switched to a modern standards-mode theme as soon as you became aware of problems.

Never understood the huge attraction this theme has had for many APEX developers. I've always found it most unattractive...

• 2. Re: Run theme in standards compliant mode.
            Arijit Kanrar

fac586,

Thanks for the information although it's not the best news I was expecting.

And to be honest, I despise this theme!! It's so dull and not at all elegant. Unfortunately I cannot change it as there are many more people who have to agree to change the complete look and feel of the application.

So I guess i'm stuck with this and I have to live with it. The problem comes when I have to search for third-party JS libraries to do tasks that could be done faster.

Would it not work if we upgrade Apex?

Just asking...

Regards,

Arijit

• 3. Re: Run theme in standards compliant mode.
              fac586

Arijit Kanrar wrote:

Thanks for the information although it's not the best news I was expecting.

And to be honest, I despise this theme!! It's so dull and not at all elegant. Unfortunately I cannot change it as there are many more people who have to agree to change the complete look and feel of the application.

So I guess i'm stuck with this and I have to live with it. The problem comes when I have to search for third-party JS libraries to do tasks that could be done faster.

I wouldn't (couldn't) live with it. Quantify how much more time supporting this theme involves and charge for it/make it visible in project estimates.

The alternative to switching to a new theme would be to estimate the costs of recreating the look & feel in a new standards-mode version of the theme, and present that as the cost of maintaining the current look and feel of the application indefinitely.

Would it not work if we upgrade Apex?

No, it's likely to just get worse as subsequent APEX versions and 3rd party components use more recent HTML, CSS, and jQuery features.

In this situation, if upgrading to 4.2 (or 5.0 when it appears) is a possibility, I'd throw in demonstrations of the app using new themes. You might not be the only one who is fed up of the Sludge theme.