7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2014 2:51 PM by Lee Miller RSS

Automate Deletion of Planning Forms

Lee Miller

Looking for ideas on how to automate deletion of planning forms before running the outline load utility to do a metadata update.  I use the export and import utility, but in between manually delete the forms before restructuring.

Thanks in advance!!

• 1. Re: Automate Deletion of Planning Forms
          KKT

Delete the planning form and that too for metadata update. Not Clear.

Please clarify your requirement so that someone can help us.

Thanks,

~KKT~

• 2. Re: Automate Deletion of Planning Forms
            Lee Miller

Before I can run the outline load utitility, I have to export planning forms (for backup) and then delete them in order to make metadata updates.  If not, the metadata updates will fail due to metadata existing on the forms.

I do not want to manually go into the planning front end to delete the forms. I want to write a batch script to do it.

• 3. Re: Automate Deletion of Planning Forms
              AmarnathK

When you say Metadata updates...what exact process you are following?

Are you rebuilding the entire application from scratch? then I would say that is not what the planning cubes are meant for

The above mentioned issue comes only when you are deleting the members. But, why? why do you want to delete the members?

If you are doing member additions / renames (not sure if Outline load utility can do that) then if your forms are developed based on Hierarchies then you won't have to update anything

Hope it helps

Regards

Amarnath

ORACLE | Essbase

• 4. Re: Automate Deletion of Planning Forms
                Lee Miller

Amarnath,

We are deleting members so they can be moved. The outline load utility requires this. Since the members we delete sometimes exist on forms, our process exists of deleting the forms before updating metadata.

• 5. Re: Automate Deletion of Planning Forms
                  Celvin Kattookaran

I don't think there is a utility to delete forms. You might have to think about using alternate methods, why not assign those members attributes and use those attributes in form, that way you can move them anywhere?

Another option will be to export the forms, delete them from the backend tables, perform metadata update and import the form back. (considering all those, I would say using attributes is a better option).

Just out of curiosity, why is it changing so often?

Regards

Celvin Kattookaran

• 6. Re: Automate Deletion of Planning Forms
                    AmarnathK

I don't think for moving the members you have to delete it. I have done movements using ODI but I never faced an issue if you are using the format (Parent|Child|Data Storage). I hope that it should work with outline load also

Regards

Amarnath

ORACLE | Essbase

• 7. Re: Automate Deletion of Planning Forms
                      Lee Miller

We change our organization structure monthly to stay in sync with the GL.  Unfortunately we do not use HFM or ODI.

Thank you for both suggestions. I will consider them.  I agree going through the tables is not ideal...