4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2014 4:00 PM by ORASCN RSS

oracle goldengate 10.4 will work with oracle 11.2.0.4?

Hi

We have oracle goldengate 10.4.0.110 Build 001 working with oracle database 11.2.0.2 on AIX 6.

We are planing to upgrade databases to 11.2.0.4 and would like to check if GG 10.4 will work with

database 11.2.0.4?

Thanks

Ashish

• 1. Re: oracle goldengate 10.4 will work with oracle 11.2.0.4?
          MikeN

To capture changes from Oracle DB 11g, you'll need to use GoldenGate 11.2 or GoldenGate 12.1.  (But make sure you use GoldenGate (v11.2 or 12.1) for Oracle DB 11g, and don't accidentally try to use GG 12 for Oracle DB 12 against Oracle DB 11g...)

• 2. Re: oracle goldengate 10.4 will work with oracle 11.2.0.4?

Hi MikeN

I tried for find certification matrix for goldengate 10.4 but didnt find it. Can you please share it if you have it?

Are you saying that goldengate 10.2 will not work with oracle 11.2.0.4? Please correct me if I understand it wrongly.

Thanks

Ashish

• 3. Re: oracle goldengate 10.4 will work with oracle 11.2.0.4?
              MikeN

> I tried for find certification matrix for goldengate 10.4 but didnt find it. Can you please share it if you have it?

> Are you saying that goldengate 10.2 will not work with oracle 11.2.0.4? Please correct me if I understand it wrongly.

The certification matrix used to be a spreadsheet on OTN, but has since moved to the support site. Go to "support.oracle.com" and click on the "certifications" tab, enter "GoldenGate" as the product, and the GoldenGate version you want to check.  For example, GG  11.2.1.0.11 will say that there is no separate certification, but it's the same as GG 11.2.1.0.6, which in turn says it supports Oracle DB 11.2.1.0.4.0, ...etc., through 10.2-dot-something, etc.

Newer versions of GoldenGate may support limited older versions of Oracle Database (up to a certain point).  But older versions of GoldenGate inherently can't support newer versions of Oracle Database -- that should be obvious. When GG 10.4 was released, Oracle DB 11.2 wasn't even available yet.  (Also, GG 10.4 was released prior to GoldenGate's acquisition by Oracle (in 2009), so at that time, every release of GG had to wait until after the corresponding Oracle DB was publicly released. Now, post-acquisition, there is more coordination between releases. But still no time machines. :-) )

You should use the latest release available of GG that supports your database. For Oracle DB 10.2, that's GG 11.2. For Oracle DB 11g, that's GG 12.1.2.  But GG 11.2 of course is an option for Oracle 11g as well; however, intentionally installing an older version of the software should be the exception, not the norm, because as soon as you hit a "known, fixed issue" in the older release, you'll likely have to upgrade anyway.

• 4. Re: oracle goldengate 10.4 will work with oracle 11.2.0.4?
                ORASCN

Hi Please find the below certification Matrix for Oracle Goldengate 10.4. According to my readings, I think OGG 10.4 will not support Oracle Database 11.2.0.4

Veera...