3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2014 12:02 AM by RajaMohamed RSS

OBIEE RPD Dynamically need to pick the Connection pool USERNAME and DSN Values based on the Environment

user8880980

Hi Gurus,  I have one requirement where I need some clarification and your suggestions.

Requirement :
      OBIEE RPD Dynamically need to pick the Connection pool USERNAME and DSN values  based on the Environment ( like DEV,QA something).

Here DB Team is having some standard that they cant use same user id in other environment however  passwords are same across environments.  Infra Team don’t want to change the user names and DSN each time they migrate RPD.  RPD  dynamically need to pick  DSN  and Username based on environment it is migrated.

I tried few solution approaches  but they didn’t get approved it.

1) Create a table with USERNAME and DSN  in each environment and access these value using  variables. Drawback is  even to access these tables we need connection pool with user name and DSN.

2) Create a  txt file  with USERNAME and DSN  in each environment and access these value using  variables . Drawback is  supported drivers not in Unix environment. Architect not supporting it.

3) Create a  XML file  with USERNAME and DSN  in each environment and access these value using  variables.

This approach is working fine. But only drawback is  OBIEE RPD is not allowing any Repository variables initialization blocks on XML sources.  Its allowing Session variable  initialization blocks  to create on XML sources.

Our worry is  if it’s a session variable it need to initiate each time user login in and may delay the user login in process.  I am favor of this approach. But others are not.

Is there any drawback in # 3 approach? 

Please forward if you have any suggestions or any other solution approaches and also please let me know  your views on # 3.

your help in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
      V K