3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2014 6:50 PM by Todd Little-Oracle RSS

Oracle tuxedo R2

Bruno Taboada

Hi folks.

My name is Bruno Taboada I entered into here to ask a couple of questions.

I am trying to create a sample project by using Oracle Tuxedo Release 2 ,however, I have a few question about it.

firstly, I created a simple project to enqueue and to dequeue and that it's worked out fine but when I tried to test a few examples from oracle documentation I realized the newest version of oracle tuxedo does not contain a few functions such as : tpenqplus() but only tpenqueue() definition. So, with this in mind, I wonder if the Oracle Tuxedo 12cR2 (12.1.3) there is a Oracle Tuxedo Message Queue? if not.

How do I install Oracle Tuxedo Message Queue (12.1.1.0) in Oracle Tuxedo 12cR2 (12.1.3)? or else

Should I use Oracle Tuxedo 12cR1 (12.1.1.0) because it's already been seamlessly integrated with other oracle tuxedo modules such as SALT,TSAM including OTMQ?

Does Oracle Tuxedo 12cR2 (12.1.3) run alongside Oracle Tuxedo Message Queue (12.1.1.0) separately but taking part in the same domain? in this case, is it recommended to be deployed as such? How does it work? I have no idea. any hint?

at last, is Oracle going to release a integrated version of  Oracle Tuxedo 12cR2 (12.1.3) with Oracle Tuxedo Message Queue? if so. when will it be?

I hope I was clear enough.

Thank you for all replies in advance.

Best regards.

Todd Little-Oracle

• 1. Re: Oracle tuxedo R2
          Todd Little-Oracle

Hi Bruno,

Sorry for the confusion.  tpenqplus() is part of the Tuxedo Message Queue product.  It is an add-on product to Tuxedo that offers more functionality than the standard Tuxedo /Q.  That's why if you only installed Tuxedo, you wouldn't have the Tuxedo Message Queue APIs available to you.

As far as releases go, almost all of the Tuxedo product family is available on Tuxedo 12.1.3, except Tuxedo Message Queue which is at 12.1.1 and can either be installed stand-alone or as an add-on to Tuxedo 12.1.1.  We plan to have a new version of Tuxedo Message Queue available before the end of the year that is compatible with Tuxedo 12.1.3.  You can run Tuxedo Message Queue 12.1.1 and connect it to Tuxedo 12.1.3 via the domain gateway if you need Tuxedo Message Queue before the new version is available.  Are there features in Tuxedo Message Queue that you need above and beyond what is available in Tuxedo /Q?

Regards,

Todd Little

Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect

• 2. Re: Oracle tuxedo R2
            Bruno Taboada

Ok. Thank you Todd Little

I get that now. by the way, I realized exactly what you have said. Oracle Tuxedo application ships with a queue infrastructure. since it comes with Tuxedo /Q. I have a few more questions.

Where should I use Tuxedo Message Queue product in Tuxedo application server since it already has forms of enqueuing and dequeuing data?

Best regards.

• 3. Re: Oracle tuxedo R2
              Todd Little-Oracle

Hi Bruno,

Tuxedo Message Queue is an advanced message queuing product that combines the reliability and transactional capabilities of Tuxedo /Q with the rich messaging capabilities of Oracle MessageQ.  So the simple answer is if /Q will meet your needs in a Tuxedo application, use /Q.  If you don't need all the capabilities of Tuxedo but you need robust advanced messaging, use Tuxedo Message Queue.  If you need both, add Tuxedo Message Queue onto Tuxedo.  So if you need things like delivery notification, offline messaging, and other more advanced messaging facilities than Tuxedo /Q provides and if you still need Tuxedo, add Tuxedo Message Queue onto Tuxedo.

Regards,

Todd Little

Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect