5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2014 2:10 PM by isabel.bernelly RSS

Is there anyway to edit Human Task participant list at runtime?

isabel.bernelly

I am using Oracle SOA and BPM Suite 11.1.1.6

I implemented a human task and assigned the Participants List at design time. I selected Name and Expressions / Value Based and choosed several groups which users are going to interact with the human task. What should I do if I need to add a new group to the participants list after process deployment? Is there any way to edit the participant list at runtime? I've tried in SOA Composer and BPM Composer but I couldn't find the option.

Thanks in advance,

isabel.bernelly

• 1. Re: Is there anyway to edit Human Task participant list at runtime?
          Antonis Antoniou

Hi Isabel,

I'm not aware of such a feature.

What you can do is you can assign your human task to a group and at run time you can add/remove users from that group.

Antonis

• 2. Re: Is there anyway to edit Human Task participant list at runtime?
            Daniel Atwood

Hi Isabel,

Hoping to get to meet Niall Commiskey at Amis one of these days.  He's written a blog post that describes how this can be done using the HWF API:

SOA / BPM on Oracle Fusion Middleware: #292 BPM 11g Human Task - Reassignment via API

Hope this helps,

Dan

• 3. Re: Is there anyway to edit Human Task participant list at runtime?
              Antonis Antoniou

Hi Isabel,

I was with the impression that you were looking for a declarative run-time feature on the workspace application.

Of course you can achieve this using the worklist API. In fact we've implemented such a requirement in our latest project where using an admin-type of process (we called it "Manage Process") where a priviledged user can instantiate this process and via an ADF UI, and using the worklist API, can re-assign already running instances to user(s) or group(s).

There are tons of examples on the internet on how to use the workist API to achieve this.

Antonis

• 4. Re: Is there anyway to edit Human Task participant list at runtime?
                isabel.bernelly

Hi Daniel & Antonis:

Thanks for answer, I really appreciate that, but I think that you didn't understand what I really need to do. I don't need to assign the task during the process execution, I need to add a new Group to the task Participant List and take it in account for the assignment pattern as Round Robin, Least Busy, Most Productive, etc.

participant List.png

Here is a design time view of the Assignment tab for the User Task definition. Here I've added groups Test1 and Test2 and a little bit down (it can't be seen in the image, but is there) I've selected Least Busy assignment pattern. So at runtime the task is assigned to the least busy group guaranteeing that a task instance is assigned to only one group. Then appears a new group Test3 that I should add to the Participants List, but the process is running. If I add the new group at design time and deploy the process again, I assume that I will lose all the process instances that are running. Then is where comes out the requirement of update the task participant list at runtime. Something like add Test3 to the assigment pattern cycle.

I hope that now I've been a little clearest about the real situation.

Thanks a lot in advance for you attention,

Regards,

Isabel

• 5. Re: Is there anyway to edit Human Task participant list at runtime?
                  isabel.bernelly

Hi again :

Looking for a solution, I've been trying to build Participant List using Name and Expressions -> Rule based assuming that Business Rules can be edited at runtime. Actually I've tried with a common business rule called though a Business Rules Task and the change is applied at runtime. Then I've implemented an IF-THEN rule and built the group list for the assignment. When I deployed the process, the task is been assigned correctly according to the Least Busy pattern. So it came the moment to add a new group to the list. I went to SOA composer, certainly I could open and even edit the rule at runtime, but the problem is that change is not applied even if I committed the changes. The task assignment continues only with the two groups that I previously set at design time. The rules that answer to a rule based task assignment can not be edited at runtime?

Regards,

Isabel