8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2014 7:14 AM by CycleGeek RSS

Encrypting Connections

CycleGeek

I am running Oracle 11.2.0.3 and I need to provide support for both unencrypted and encrypted connections.  Unencrypted connections is configured and working fine, but I need to add support for encrypted connections.

I would like to use Oracle Advanced Security to do this as it seems fairly simple.  Am I correct when I say that I'll need to setup another listener on a different port if I want these connections to be required to use encryption while still maintaining the ability to accept unencrypted connections on the currently configured listener?

Thanks,

Mark

• 1. Re: Encrypting Connections
          sol.beach

CycleGeek wrote:

I am running Oracle 11.2.0.3 and I need to provide support for both unencrypted and encrypted connections.  Unencrypted connections is configured and working fine, but I need to add support for encrypted connections.

I would like to use Oracle Advanced Security to do this as it seems fairly simple.  Am I correct when I say that I'll need to setup another listener on a different port if I want these connections to be required to use encryption while still maintaining the ability to accept unencrypted connections on the currently configured listener?

Thanks,

Mark

what flavor of client needs to be supported with "encrypted" connection?

single listener can listen on multiple ports concurrently.

• 2. Re: Encrypting Connections
            JustinCave

If you want one listener that requires encrypted connections and another that doesn't support encrypted connections, then yes, you'd need a second listener.

Normally, though, you'd simply configure your single listener to allow but not require encryption.  Clients that support encryption would create encrypted connections, clients that do not would create unencrypted connections.  I'm not sure what benefit you'd derive from having two separate listeners.

Justin

• 3. Re: Encrypting Connections
              CycleGeek

These would be jdbc connections.  And I believe I need two listeners because the connections coming in that need encryption are required to use encryption, it's not optional.

• 4. Re: Encrypting Connections
                sol.beach

CycleGeek wrote:

These would be jdbc connections.  And I believe I need two listeners because the connections coming in that need encryption are required to use encryption, it's not optional.

Is this a 3-tier application; like below

EndUser<=>browser<=>WebServer<=>ApplicationServer<=>DatabaseServer

• 5. Re: Encrypting Connections
                  Girish Sharma

I think you will get below link helpful :

Configuring Network Data Encryption

Or

below doc link:

Configuring Network Data Encryption and Integrity for Oracle Servers and Clients

Regards

Girish Sharma

• 6. Re: Encrypting Connections
                    sybrand_b

No you are not correct.

Single listener supports both TCP and TCPS

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 7. Re: Encrypting Connections
                      CycleGeek

sol.beach wrote:

CycleGeek wrote:

Is this a 3-tier application; like below

EndUser<=>browser<=>WebServer<=>ApplicationServer<=>DatabaseServer

Yes it is.

• 8. Re: Encrypting Connections
                        CycleGeek

sybrand_b wrote:

No you are not correct.

Single listener supports both TCP and TCPS

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

But it must be configured to listen on two different ports correct?