1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2014 12:36 PM by Levi Pereira RSS

    how to add new database to RAC 10gR1

    Baurzhan.K

      Hello, guys!

       

      I am going to migrage 2-nodes RAC to new hardware (it might be Virtual machine), but i am not sure how to do that.

       

       

      Could you, guys,  please, tell me steps for migration?

       

      I was thinking about this:

      1) I install clusterware on 2 new nodes.

      2) restore database from rman backup (production system)

      3) not sure how to register restored database on new cluster

       

      Thanks in advance.

        • 1. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
          Antonio Navarro

          It can have many topics, configure scan, local_listener, policy of cluster, please be more concrete.

           

          You can refer to documentation too, look at this link.

           

          Configuring Oracle Database with Oracle Clusterware

           

          HTH - Antonio NAVARRO

          • 2. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
            Baurzhan.K

            Antonio Navarro wrote:

             

            It can have many topics, configure scan, local_listener, policy of cluster, please be more concrete.

             

            You can refer to documentation too, look at this link.

             

            Configuring Oracle Database with Oracle Clusterware

             

            HTH - Antonio NAVARRO

            Sorry, for misleading. I dont know what to do next after I will restore RAC database from rman backup on new host. How to add restored database to new cluster?

            • 3. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
              Antonio Navarro

              You must first reconfigure init.ora (for all instances) with new configuration, like remote_listener, local_listener, instance_number, cluster_database ...

               

              After that, you must register database and all you instances

               

              srvctl add database -d <database name> -o <ORACLE_HOME path> -p <spfile location and name>

              srvctl add instance -d <database name> -i <instance 1 name> -n <node 1 name >

              srvctl add instance -d <database name> -i <instance 2 name> -n <node 2 name >

               

               

              HTH - Antonio NAVARRO

               

               

               


              • 4. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
                Baurzhan.K

                Thanks for answering. Are you sure it works with 10gR1 RAC, because the link u gave me is for 11.2 RAC?

                • 5. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
                  Billy~Verreynne

                  As you need to build brand new server (VM) platforms for the RAC database, why do you want to install a BUGGY (and I can atest to that) 10gr1 RAC??

                   

                  Install 10gr2 (latest patch version for Linux was 10.2.0.4 I think). Or better still install 11gr2 latest at least.

                   

                  We have a saying in my home language that translated means, do not pluck a young supple branch for hitting your own arse, Which seems to be exactly what your are intend on doing. Wilfully...

                  • 6. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
                    Baurzhan.K

                    Billy~Verreynne wrote:

                     

                    As you need to build brand new server (VM) platforms for the RAC database, why do you want to install a BUGGY (and I can atest to that) 10gr1 RAC??

                     

                     

                    I don't want but I have to. On the top of it Oracle Collaboration Suite works, which can work with 10gR1 I believe.

                     

                    So, I am building the migration plan with ur help here. Thanks for ur inputs.

                    • 7. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
                      Billy~Verreynne

                      Fact is that 10.1.0.x IS buggy. Numerous serious bugs for RAC. (I ran it for 2+ years and speak from personal experience)

                       

                      And the majority of these bugs are resolved with 10.2.0.4.

                       

                      So at least install the latest STABLE version for 10g - and not some buggy version.

                      • 8. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
                        Baurzhan.K

                        Billy~Verreynne wrote:

                         

                        Fact is that 10.1.0.x IS buggy. Numerous serious bugs for RAC. (I ran it for 2+ years and speak from personal experience)

                         

                        And the majority of these bugs are resolved with 10.2.0.4.

                         

                        So at least install the latest STABLE version for 10g - and not some buggy version.

                        Ok, thank you.

                         

                        Can u tell, please, if these steps are correct for 10gR1? (I need to add rman-restored database on new cluster)

                         

                        srvctl add database -d <database name> -o <ORACLE_HOME path> -p <spfile location and name>

                        srvctl add instance -d <database name> -i <instance 1 name> -n <node 1 name >

                        srvctl add instance -d <database name> -i <instance 2 name> -n <node 2 name >

                        • 9. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
                          Levi Pereira

                          You don't need reinstall or restore database.

                          Just add new hosts on cluster and remove old hosts.

                           

                          Adding and Deleting Oracle Clusterware Homes


                          You can extend/reduce Oracle Clusterware to more/less nodes in the same cluster.


                          I agree with Billy 10.1.0.x is BUGGY. Why not upgrade it?


                          • 10. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
                            Baurzhan.K

                            Levi Pereira wrote:

                             


                            I agree with Billy 10.1.0.x is BUGGY. Why not upgrade it?


                            As I've said already.

                            I don't want but I have to. On the top of it Oracle Collaboration Suite works, which can work with 10gR1 I believe.

                             

                             

                             

                            I cant just add new clusters, because we going to migrate from physical to VM environment.

                            • 11. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
                              Billy~Verreynne

                              That is the point.

                               

                              You are migrating the database, via rman, right?

                               

                              You are not migrating the physical h/w platform to a VM. This means you are not going to make the physical platform's root disk and h/w addresses (e.g. MAC addresses of the NICs) that of the VM.

                               

                              You need to create a brand new VM. And configure that with one or more virtual disks and NICs. The VMs also need an Interconnect (private/dedicated). And shared storage. How is this going to be virtualised? Via host o/s fibre channels? Via a virtualised shared I/O fabric layer? Something else?

                               

                              This also means a brand NEW o/s installation. And a brand NEW Oracle installation.

                               

                              After which rman is used to restore the database, and the database is added to GI via srvctl commands.

                               

                              Not that ANY of this make ANY sense.. as WHY on earth do you want to virtualise RAC?

                               

                              What do you hope to gain?

                               

                              Will this virtualisation be across host h/w boundaries?

                               

                              I will have major concerns in migrating any of my RACs from bare metal servers to VM servers. Yet you seem to want to kick the door open, and jump head first into a virtualised environment, guns blazing... You do not seem to have any of the concerns I have. Why not? Are my concerns not valid? And if so, why not?

                              • 12. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
                                Baurzhan.K

                                Billy~Verreynne wrote:

                                 

                                That is the point.

                                 

                                You are migrating the database, via rman, right?

                                 

                                You are not migrating the physical h/w platform to a VM. This means you are not going to make the physical platform's root disk and h/w addresses (e.g. MAC addresses of the NICs) that of the VM.

                                 

                                You need to create a brand new VM. And configure that with one or more virtual disks and NICs. The VMs also need an Interconnect (private/dedicated). And shared storage. How is this going to be virtualised? Via host o/s fibre channels? Via a virtualised shared I/O fabric layer? Something else?

                                 

                                This also means a brand NEW o/s installation. And a brand NEW Oracle installation.

                                 

                                After which rman is used to restore the database, and the database is added to GI via srvctl commands.

                                 

                                Not that ANY of this make ANY sense.. as WHY on earth do you want to virtualise RAC?

                                 

                                What do you hope to gain?

                                 

                                Will this virtualisation be across host h/w boundaries?

                                 

                                I will have major concerns in migrating any of my RACs from bare metal servers to VM servers. Yet you seem to want to kick the door open, and jump head first into a virtualised environment, guns blazing... You do not seem to have any of the concerns I have. Why not? Are my concerns not valid? And if so, why not?

                                Yes, I am going to migrate via rman to brand new CM. I am limited to this VM as we don't have another H/W to mirage and the current physical server (with RAC) are pretty old.

                                 

                                Shared storage will be realized as NFS server on the same VM. I've never tried virtualised shared I/O fabric layer. Does it exist on VMware? And how easy can it be implemented?

                                 

                                Thanks.

                                • 13. Re: Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
                                  Levi Pereira

                                  Oracle RAC Database and Oracle Clusterware are different products.

                                   

                                  You can have Oracle Clusterware 11.2.0.4 and Oracle RAC Database 11.1.0.7. This setup is fully supported.

                                   

                                  I don't suggested you upgrade your RAC Database but I suggest you upgrade only Oracle Clusterware to take full advantage of ASM and Cluster 11.2.

                                  Oracle Clusterware 11.1 is buggy and have much less feature compared 11.2. Specially regarding ASM.

                                   

                                  As you are moving to different Host I suggest.

                                   

                                  Install and Configure Oracle Clusterware 11.2.0.4

                                  Install Oracle RAC 11.1

                                  Migrate RAC 11.1 (using RMAN) to this New Clusterware 11.2

                                  Configure Database and Services on OCR (11.2.0.4) using OH of 11.1

                                   

                                   

                                  About RAC Performance on Virtualized Env (VMWARE) sharing with others virtual host I believe is not a good option, because RAC/Clusterware is more sensitive to bad performance. (split-brain can occurs due I/O or CPU starvation).


                                  I have Oracle Clusterware/RAC 11.2 on a VM ESX to test and learning purpose. Often one node is goes down due I/O performance issue. (Of course that depend your H/W) but is just a warning that must not be ignored.


                                  • 14. Re: how to add new database to RAC 10gR1
                                    Billy~Verreynne

                                    In your shoes I will not bother with virtualised RAC and NFS as shared storage - as this will be unable to scale, will not be robust, and will suffer from server bouts of no performance.

                                     

                                    Instead, I will ask for a single VM - with the combined size of the old server 1 and server2 of the old RAC. I will also ask for a local VM disk (raw) that is the size of the existing storage used for the old RAC.

                                     

                                    I will install 11.2.0.x Grid Infrastructure (stand alone) for ASM. Configure the VM disk as a diskgroup. Install 11.2.0.x Oracle RDBMS. And then migrate the old RAC 10gr1 database to the new VM - likely using rman.

                                     

                                    And I still maintain that virtualisation of RAC is just plain silly. The only time it makes sense is for R&D and testing and experimentation. Not for production.

                                    1 2 Previous Next