3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2014 2:48 PM by CWetterwald RSS

HFM - different hist rates for individual legal entities

jrodgers

Hi all

Currently we use a few different historic rates for certain BS accounts, e.g. retained earnings, share cap etc. This is done by flagging the UDAs of the entity/account dimensions with the relevant FXType and HistRate accounts which are then referenced in the translation rules. We only have a few entities and acccounts so this works ok for us.

However w now have a new requirement to be able to see 18 different historic rates for certain foreign entities. Does anyone else have to do something similar? I do not want to explode the amount of UDAs we have if possible.

I read in the rules guide that exchange rates 'can be entered into the rate accounts at an individual etity level as well as the [None] entity'.

How is this possible? When I select anything other than [None] I get the orange invalid cells..

Thanks

JR

• 1. Re: HFM - different hist rates for individual legal entities
          Thanos A

Hi there,

Try to post the rates at <Entity Currency> of the specific entities…

Regards,

Thanos

• 2. Re: HFM - different hist rates for individual legal entities
            user10767728

Hi,

Some food for thought for you... I remember doing these kind of things using members in a custom-dimenion. Each change in equity is tracked in an Entity/Custom cell which allows then storing a historical rate per event. So each one of your 18 events would be tracked on its own custom dimension member storing also a rate that could be used in the Sub Translate() rules.

Hope this helps!

-- Lauri

• 3. Re: HFM - different hist rates for individual legal entities
              CWetterwald

You can store a rate per account using a custom dimension like any other supplemental information and then you can use it for the currency conversion. Use a custom dimension to split the input for the needed balance sheet accounts in local amount (C1#[none]) and parent rate(s) (C1#HistUSDRate, C1#HistEurRate).

E.g. A#12345.C1#[None] = 100, A#12345.C1#HistUSDRate = 0.9 and A#12345.C1#HistEurRate = 1.2

During the translation you just use the rates stored in the customs and you are done (Of cause you need to take care about CTA).

if HS.Value.currency = "USD" then

HS.Trans "A#12345.C1#[None]","","A#12345.C1#HistUSDRate",""

elseif HS.Value.currency = "Eur" then

HS.Trans "A#12345.C1#[None]","","A#12345.C1#HistEurRate",""

end if

But I would use the concept of foreign currency override instead of individual historical rates, it is much easier to maintain and to validate. Use a custom dimension to split the input for the needed balance sheet accounts in local value (C1#[none]) and parent rate(s) values (C1#USD, C1#Eur).

E.g. A#12345.C1#[None] = 100, A#12345.C1#USD = 90 and A#12345.C1#Eur = 120

During the translation you just copy the amount over and you are done (Of cause you need to take care about CTA as well).

HS.trans "C1#USD", "", 1, "" 'saves the USD override amount

HS.trans "C1#Eur", "", 1, "" ' saves the Eur override amount

if HS.Value.currency = "USD" then

HS.Trans "A#12345.C1#[None]","A#12345.C1#USD",1,""

elseif HS.Value.currency = "Eur" then

HS.Trans "A#12345.C1#[None]","A#12345.C1#Eur",1,""

end if

If you need the rates, you still can calculate them using a HS.exp function.

Of cause these are simplistic incomplete samples, but that's how you can do it.