9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 11:34 PM by 2725222

Does SQL Developer 4.0.2 run on Window 8.1 64 bit? I cannot get it to start up.

This is my first time on this forum, so forgive my naiveté please.

Does SQL Developer 4.0.2 run on Windows 8.1 64 bit?  I cannot get it to start up.  The splash screen comes up, the progress bar moves about 10% of the way, and everything then just shuts down. 
      The first time I received the Java path prompt and successfully input that before it shut down).

What I have tried:

Running from DOS command window sqldeveloper.exe, sqldeveloper64.exe, sqldeveloperw.exe, and others directly from the sqldeveloper/bin directory both normally and as administrator - to no avail.

I have SQL Developer 4.0.2 running on my Windows 7 work compute fine.  My new work-at-home computer is where I'm having the problem.

I'm stumped on what to do next.  Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Does SQL Developer 4.0.2 run on Window 8.1 64 bit? I cannot get it to start up.
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Find your application data directory for sql developer and delete it. A bad file there is responsible for most of these 'freeze at 10-20%' startup problems.

• 2. Re: Does SQL Developer 4.0.2 run on Window 8.1 64 bit? I cannot get it to start up.
            Galo Balda

What Java version is the one you used? Try downloading the SQL Developer package that includes the JDK?

• 3. Re: Does SQL Developer 4.0.2 run on Window 8.1 64 bit? I cannot get it to start up.
              Does SQL Developer 4.0.2 run on Windows 8.1 64 bit?  I cannot get it to start up.

Post the full version of the JDK you are using. Is that the ONLY JDK on that machine?

Check the environment variables. From a command window execute: SET PATH and post the path

From that same command windows execute: JAVAC -version and post the results.

• 4. Re: Does SQL Developer 4.0.2 run on Window 8.1 64 bit? I cannot get it to start up.

Thank you for the prompt response!

Is the application data directory different from sqldeveloper directory?  I've uninstalled (deleted the sqldeveloper directory) and reinstalled multiple times with the same behavior resulting.  Is there a directory outside of the sqldeveloper directory to delete that I'm missing?

Thank you.

• 5. Re: Does SQL Developer 4.0.2 run on Window 8.1 64 bit? I cannot get it to start up.

Thanks for the quick suggestions.

I downloaded and installed the version with the embedded JDK first and it reacted with the behavior I described.  Before downloading the one without, I downloaded and installed jkd1.7.0_67 from the Oracle site.  After starting the one without the JDK and providing the JDK path, again the same 10% behavior.  Right now,  jkd1.7.0_67 is the only jdk on my machine.  (I also tried it with jdk 8, but SQL Developer didn't like it so I removed it).

• 6. Re: Does SQL Developer 4.0.2 run on Window 8.1 64 bit? I cannot get it to start up.
                    Gary Graham-Oracle

Try looking for C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\system4.0.2.15.21.  Note that AppData is one of those hidden Windows folders.

• 8. Re: Does SQL Developer 4.0.2 run on Window 8.1 64 bit? I cannot get it to start up.

Thanks for the quick response!

Before downloading SQL Developer (without the embedded JDK), I downloaded and installed jkd1.7.0_67 from the Oracle site.  After starting Developer and providing the JDK path I got the 10% behavior (same behavior as when I previously installed SQL Developer with the embedded JDK).  Right now,  jkd1.7.0_67 is the only jdk on my machine.  (I also tried it with jdk 8, but SQL Developer didn't like it so I removed it).

The jdk is not currently in my path, as the below output show:

Path=c:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;c:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT

PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC

So, javac won't work as below:

C:\Users\Steve>javac | clip

'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

HOWEVER, I then put the JDK in my path variable as shown below and ran javac successfully:

C:\Users\Steve>set path
                      Path=c:\program files\java\jdk1.7.0_67\bin;c:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Cli
                      ent\;c:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windo
                      ws\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\In
                      tel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Ma
                      nagement Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management
                      Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Co
                      mponents\IPT
                      path = c:\program files\javac\jdk1.7.0_67\bin;c:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS
                      Client\;c:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Wi
                      ndows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files
                      \Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R)
                      Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Manageme
                      nt Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine
                      Components\IPT
                      PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC

C:\Users\Steve>javac
                      Usage: javac <options> <source files>
                      where possible options include:
                        -g                         Generate all debugging info
                        -g:none                    Generate no debugging info
                        -g:{lines,vars,source}     Generate only some debugging info
                        -nowarn                    Generate no warnings
                        -verbose                   Output messages about what the compiler is doing
                        -deprecation               Output source locations where deprecated APIs are u
                      sed
                        -classpath <path>          Specify where to find user class files and annotati
                      on processors
                        -cp <path>                 Specify where to find user class files and annotati
                      on processors
                        -sourcepath <path>         Specify where to find input source files
                        -bootclasspath <path>      Override location of bootstrap class files
                        -extdirs <dirs>            Override location of installed extensions
                        -endorseddirs <dirs>       Override location of endorsed standards path
                        -proc:{none,only}          Control whether annotation processing and/or compil
                      ation is done.
                        -processor <class1>[,<class2>,<class3>...] Names of the annotation processors
                      to run; bypasses default discovery process
                        -processorpath <path>      Specify where to find annotation processors
                        -d <directory>             Specify where to place generated class files
                        -s <directory>             Specify where to place generated source files
                        -implicit:{none,class}     Specify whether or not to generate class files for
                      implicitly referenced files
                        -encoding <encoding>       Specify character encoding used by source files
                        -source <release>          Provide source compatibility with specified release

-target <release>          Generate class files for specific VM version
                        -version                   Version information
                        -help                      Print a synopsis of standard options
                        -Akey[=value]              Options to pass to annotation processors
                        -X                         Print a synopsis of nonstandard options
                        -J<flag>                   Pass <flag> directly to the runtime system
                        -Werror                    Terminate compilation if warnings occur
                        @<filename>                Read options and filenames from file

C:\Users\Steve>

When I start SQL Developer - same 10% behavior

• 9. Re: Does SQL Developer 4.0.2 run on Window 8.1 64 bit? I cannot get it to start up.

Voila!  After deleting the files in my AppData folder (thank you Gary for the valuable hidden directory hint!), SQL Developer fired up.

Being a first time participant in this forum, I am duly impressed with the responses I received.  I could have saved myself hours of time coming here first.  Thank you all!