5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2014 7:36 PM by rp0428

How to import database ?

Eslam_Elbyaly

hi ,

version 4.0.2 ,

there is so simple way from tools menu in sql developer called "database export" ,

but i can not find a simple way to import the database i exported ?

• 1. Re: How to import database ?
          version 4.0.2 ,

there is so simple way from tools menu in sql developer called "database export" ,

but i can not find a simple way to import the database i exported ?

That 'simple way' creates one or more SQL script files that contain sql statements. Those SQL statements can be executed as scripts to import the data.

I agree that it would be more intuitive if the developers had created a companion 'database import' menu item but they have not chosen to implement that in the released versions.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to import database ?
            thatJeffSmith-Oracle

>>'database import' menu item

What would that do, exactly?

• 3. Re: How to import database ?

Jeff Smith SQLDev PM wrote:

>>'database import' menu item

What would that do, exactly?

About all it could really do is provide a more intuitive way ('database import') to allow the user to 'point to' (navigate to) the file (set of files) created by 'database export'; probably just a simple wizard with an 'open' dialog box.

As I'm sure you know it is really a communication/understanding issue for the users. They generally don't realize that a 'database export' is NOT an export in the same sense as the exports produced by data pump or RMAN, nor is it meant to be. It is more of an 'unload' operation.

What I usually find is that a developer that doesn't have access to the actual server to do an export or use RMAN expects/hopes that they can use sql developer to do the same thing. Of course it isn't the same thing. Even the developers that try to execute the scripts produced by that 'export' find that objects don't necessarily get created in the proper dependency order, there are grants/privileges missing missing.

Maybe something could be added to the user guide or on-line help to the effect that the 'import' side of things is a manual process that the developer needs to perform.

I'd be more than happy to discuss this particular topic via a private channel as this particular issue is one of my areas of expertise and the primary target of my interest in extensions. Not sure how to address the non-disclosure aspects of that though.

• 4. Re: How to import database ?
                Eslam_Elbyaly

simple question ,

how to deal with creating the database when you finish your application and want to transform it to the customer ,

will you tell him to open the file with notepad and copy what inside it and paste it in sql developer or sql plus ? !!

if there is an option for importing database , and it takes parameters , it would be so easy to deal with .

• 5. Re: How to import database ?
                  simple question ,

how to deal with creating the database when you finish your application and want to transform it to the customer ,

will you tell him to open the file with notepad and copy what inside it and paste it in sql developer or sql plus ? !!

That is NOT a simple question. It is also not a question for this forum.

There are several options for deploying a database related application to your customers. Most of those options treat the Oracle installation and database creation as a totally separate step/issue.

if there is an option for importing database , and it takes parameters , it would be so easy to deal with .

That 'export' is nothing more than one or more files/scripts that contain DDL and/or DML for creating objects or loading data into an EXISTING database. The scripts created using 'database - export' won't necessarily create the objects in the correct order.

It is YOUR responsibility to execute the scripts in the proper order and to deal with any errors or exceptions that occur as a result of that execution,.