3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 3:14 AM by Tony F. RSS

How to Adjust SQL Classic Report Individual Column Widths

Tony F.

Hi,

I am using Oracle APEX v4.2 with IE8 browser and am basically trying to adjust individual column widths within my SQL Classic report. I basically have three columns that I would like to space out, inorder that the whole region width for the report is used, but am unsure how to do this.

I have drilled into individual columns and specified both column and element widths but to no avail.

Would appreciate some assistance on how to do this for individual columns and am hoping that I don't need to modify the report template (if possible).

Thanks.

Tony.

• 1. Re: How to Adjust SQL Classic Report Individual Column Widths
          fac586

Tony F. wrote:

I am using Oracle APEX v4.2 with IE8 browser and am basically trying to adjust individual column widths within my SQL Classic report. I basically have three columns that I would like to space out, inorder that the whole region width for the report is used, but am unsure how to do this.

There's an element of uncertainty in anything we suggest as well, because you have not specified the theme and report template that is being used. This information is required for any visual formatting or layout question.

I have drilled into individual columns and specified both column and element widths but to no avail.

Report templates in some themes may be missing the #COLUMN_WIDTH# substitution string required to support use of declarative column widths, as discussed here: Re: Column Width in Reports

I'm not sure why this would be missing from a supposedly "modern" theme (possibly the lack of documentation even affects Oracle's own theme designers), but you can add it to the templates as shown in that thread.

Element width only applies to tabular form controls.

Would appreciate some assistance on how to do this for individual columns and am hoping that I don't need to modify the report template (if possible).

This can be done using CSS attribute selectors (for non-legacy quirks mode themes, seeing you are using a legacy version of IE). Add a style sheet in the page Inline CSS property:

#ALIAS,
          td[headers="ALIAS"] {
          width: 40%;
          }

where the ALIAS value in the attribute selector is the column alias of the required column, and the width property specifies the required column dimension and units.

Note that percentage widths will be relative to the width of the report table. It may therefore be necessary to also specify widths (e.g. 100%) for the report table and its containing elements. Exactly how to do so is dependent on the report, region, and page templates and theme used, information which has not been provided.

• 2. Re: Re: How to Adjust SQL Classic Report Individual Column Widths
            Tony F.

Thanks fac586 for getting back to me.

Unfortunately I tried what you suggested here and didn't seem to change my report layout, i.e.:

Report templates in some themes may be missing the #COLUMN_WIDTH# substitution string required to support use of declarative column widths

Decided to take the inline CSS path and all good. Really still puzzled as to why the #COLUMN_WIDTH# option didn't work. Perhaps if someone can point me to a demo application that demonstrates this report template that uses the missing #COLUMN_WIDTH# option.

For now, my question has been answered.

Thanks again.

Tony.

• 3. Re: How to Adjust SQL Classic Report Individual Column Widths
              fac586

Tony F. wrote:

Unfortunately I tried what you suggested here and didn't seem to change my report layout, i.e.:

Report templates in some themes may be missing the #COLUMN_WIDTH# substitution string required to support use of declarative column widths

Decided to take the inline CSS path and all good. Really still puzzled as to why the #COLUMN_WIDTH# option didn't work. Perhaps if someone can point me to a demo application that demonstrates this report template that uses the missing #COLUMN_WIDTH# option.

Start by telling us what theme and template you're using, then we can check that.