11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 9:26 AM by kazyskiyn0w RSS

RAC and non-RAC db backup script

kazyskiyn0w

Hi All,

I have to create a RMAN hot backup script to perform hot full backup of database RAC 2 nodes 11.2.0.4 version.

I have a script that works perfectly in stand alone database . This script ran in non-RAC non-ASM database.

Question is: if I implement the non-RAC rman script on a RAC 2 nodes database using ASM, should I change anything? I don't have much experience with rman.

Thanks.

Kz

• 1. Re: RAC and non-RAC db backup script
          Paul M.

if I implement the non-RAC rman script on a RAC 2 nodes database using ASM, should I change anything?

You shouldn't, but it depends on your script. I have parametric backup scripts that I use for all my databases (RAC and non-RAC), simply changing a configuration file, where some variables are set.

• 2. Re: RAC and non-RAC db backup script
            Hemant K Chitale

It depends.

Without seeing your script we could assume that it does take care of the fact that RAC has multiple  redo (and archivelog) threads to backup --- but you must verify that yourself. 

Hemant K Chitale

• 3. Re: RAC and non-RAC db backup script
              Renu-Oracle

Hi,

same RMAN commands should work in RAC and non RAC environment,but it depends on how you have configured script.

have you configured snapshot controlfile on shared location?

RMAN>show parameter snap

Thanks

• 4. Re: RAC and non-RAC db backup script
                kazyskiyn0w

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Hi Renu.There is no

RMAN>show parameter snap

follows the result.

rman target /

Recovery Manager: Release 11.2.0.4.0 - Production on Thu Aug 21 06:45:01 2014

connected to target database: PROD (DBID=182782922)

RMAN> show parameter snap

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============

RMAN-00558: error encountered while parsing input commands

RMAN-01009: syntax error: found "parameter": expecting one of: "all, archivelog, auxiliary, auxname, backup, channel, compression, controlfile, datafile, db_unique_name, default, device, encryption, exclude, maxsetsize, retention, snapshot"

RMAN-01007: at line 1 column 6 file: standard input

then I tried snapshot following the rman answers

RMAN> show snapshot;

RMAN-01009: syntax error: found ";": expecting one of: "controlfile"

RMAN-01007: at line 2 column 1 file: standard input

RMAN> show snapshot controlfile;

RMAN-01009: syntax error: found ";": expecting one of: "name"

RMAN-01007: at line 2 column 1 file: standard input

RMAN> show snapshot controlfile name;

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog

RMAN configuration parameters for database with db_unique_name EBAOPRD1 are:

CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO '/u01/oracle/product/11.2.0.4/dbs/snapcf_PROD.f'; # default

Thanks

KZ

• 5. Re: RAC and non-RAC db backup script
                  BeGin

Hello,

On Rac from 11.2 snapshot controlfile must be be configured in a shared location ( can be an asm location if you use asm ) to avoid ORA-245.

Regards,

--

Bertrand

• 6. Re: RAC and non-RAC db backup script
                    kazyskiyn0w

Hi Bertrand,

I'm beginner into this.I'm researching about the snap controlfile, but can you please inform what is the usage of snapshot controlfile?

Do you know where can I have more information about snapshot controlfile?

thanks

KZ

• 7. Re: RAC and non-RAC db backup script
                      Hemant K Chitale

Besides the snapshot controlfile you must also check to see if you are properly backing up the archivelogs from all the threads (RAC has 1 thread for each instance)

Hemant K Chitale

• 8. Re: Re: RAC and non-RAC db backup script
                        BeGin

Hello,

About Snapshot control file configuration for RAC you should check Doc: 1472171.1 on support.oracle.com.

Snapshot is used during copntrol file backup, it allowes your DB to write new information in control file while you're backing it up.

Hemant K Chitale ( the same who answered this thread too) has posted a nice demo on when it is created here : Hemant's Oracle DBA Blog: BACKUP CURRENT CONTROLFILE creates a Snapshot Controlfile

This other blog post from Yury Velikanov explains how to it is used in a RAC environement:SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE Is Not a Backup Copy of a Control File

Regards,

--

Bertrand

• 9. Re: RAC and non-RAC db backup script
                          kazyskiyn0w

Hi Hermant,

In order to get the archivelog from all nodes I have to execute one shell per node, correct?

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

If I create a rmam shell to perform the backup:

1) for database backup, I have to execute just one shell in any node.

2) to backup the controlfile,  I can execute the shell also in any node of the cluster.

3) to backup archivelog, I have to execute a rman shell in each node to backup the threads in each

Thanks for the reply,

Kz

• 10. Re: RAC and non-RAC db backup script
                            Hemant K Chitale

Ideally, the archivelog destination is a shared location (e.g. a shared FRA or ClusterFileSystem).

Therefore, all three "elements" : database, controlfile and archivelogs  : can be backed up from any node.

If you haven't configured your archivelog destination as a shared location, you'd have to have RMAN connect on each node.

Please see the documentation :  http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e41960/backup.htm#RACAD059

Hemant K Chitale

• 11. Re: RAC and non-RAC db backup script
                              kazyskiyn0w

Hi ,

I performed a backup test (RAC 2 nodes) with archive and control file in ASM, I just needed to execute in one node I restored and there were threads from both nodes, since ASM is shared got no problems.