4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2014 12:02 PM by user13056005 RSS

OVD to OUD transitioning

user13056005

Despite the fact that OUD does not yet provide the full range of OVD virtualization functionality, I am considering a scenario of early transitioning from a purely OVD setup to a combined OVD and OUD setup. The rationale behind this is to take advantage of the scheduled IDM re-factoring in our organization and move as much as possible of the virtualization functionality from OVD to OUD, since OUD is going to replace OVD, according to Oracle.

Currently in our setup OVDs virtualize multiple database and ldap user stores into single DIT. At the same time OVDs apply various transformations in the inbound and outbound traffic to achieve uniformity on users' objects and conform with IDM federation policy. These transformations are done either via ready or custom mappings. Custom mappings are mostly used to handle conditional attribute value rewrites that can't be done at the source level (e.g. on the database views). From the ready plugins the ones that are most heavily used are the HideEntriesByFilter, ForkJoin, VirtualAttribute and in some cases the ChangeUserRDN, UniqueEntry.

The plan of the transitioning would be to minimize the role of OVD in the stack and let it handle only tasks that can't be done by OUD, such as the database connectivity, with minimal or even with out any data manipulation taking place. On the other hand, on OUD I am going to implement the Join View adapters and take advantage of any virtualization functionality that OUD provides out-of-the-box.

However what makes this plan worth considering for me, is that I will be able to rewrite our old python based custom mappings, directly on OUD APIs instead of the soon deprecated OVD's API, assuming that OUD API is at least as complete as OVD API as far as the inbound and outdound traffic control (search filters, returning attributes etc) is concerned.

So, if anyone can advise on the subject (against or in favour) or provide any hint regarding the OVD and OUD APIs or the out-of-the-box functionalities, that would be really helpful.

Thanks,
      Nikos

• 1. Re: OVD to OUD transitioning
          Sylvain Duloutre-Oracle

Hi Nikos,

What is your project timeframe ?

More and more virtualization functions are beeing added on top of OUD that will definitely make such transition easier in subsequent release.

Sylvain

------

When closing a thread as answered remember to mark the correct and helpful posts to make it easier for others to find them

• 2. Re: OVD to OUD transitioning
            user13056005

It's a bit complicated. I have one running project, that involves around  500K users in 25+ organizations. It started back in 2010, then completed and now we are running a 2nd phase of refinements and improvements in order to realign with the current requirements. All based on OVD which is used as a hub of multiple trusted sources. The development cycle of this should not exceed 2014. In parallel there is another project targeted at the same customer scheduled to start before the end of 2014, which includes the full identity management and directory services. What I am trying to do is to combine the effort required and put OUD early in the picture.

Thank you,

Nikos

• 3. Re: OVD to OUD transitioning
              Sylvain Duloutre-Oracle

Hello,

OUD already comes with virtualization features like Join, Transformations to manipulate request/responses, network groups to present different views to the user.

However the current version does not support all the OVD use cases yet, not by 2014 anyway, but we are definitely working on it, so expect news on this area soon (I'm not authorized to give more timing details at that stage)

You could deploy OUD for load-balancing and fail-over progressively in front on the OVD layer, so that your applications communicate w OUD then move virtualization from OVD to OUD progressively.

My 2 cents

Sylvain

------

When closing a thread as answered remember to mark the correct and helpful posts to make it easier for others to find them

• 4. Re: OVD to OUD transitioning
                user13056005

By saying "..does not support all the OVD use cases yet.." do you mean in terms of virtualization plugins or API;

In any case, the architecture that you describe is exactly what I was thinking. It is nice to know that. Thank you.

Nikos